Discussion Board

MMAPI free of cost or not ....??

Hi,
    i am vinay, sir please tell me whether MMAPI is a free API or not...because when i am using that API to capture an image on mobile it is asking permission for that application saying "Allow the application to use camera, video player or audio player"

How can i come out of this should i sign it with a certificate or is there any alternative....please tell me instead of MMAPI is there any free API for camera accessing
    capturing image automatically for every 5 seconds on mobile

Regular Contributor

Re: MMAPI free of cost or not ....??

Hello,

Yep MMAPI is totally free of cost whichever the handset is supporting JSR 135.

There are some restrictions for accessing certain method calls and APIs from MIDlets. In those cases it is possible that the user will either be prompted for confirmation to allow a certain method call or the access is blocked altogether, resulting a SecurityException to be thrown.

Making these prompts appear less frequently requires the developer to sign the MIDlet and the user to manually change the API access settings. Signing to the operator or manufacturer domain will remove the prompts completely, but this requires close collaboration with those parties.

Read more on this.
    Regards,
    Dinanath

It's a matter of attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by dinanath.d View Post
    Hello,

Yep MMAPI is totally free of cost whichever the handset is supporting JSR 135.

There are some restrictions for accessing certain method calls and APIs from MIDlets. In those cases it is possible that the user will either be prompted for confirmation to allow a certain method call or the access is blocked altogether, resulting a SecurityException to be thrown.

Making these prompts appear less frequently requires the developer to sign the MIDlet and the user to manually change the API access settings. Signing to the operator or manufacturer domain will remove the prompts completely, but this requires close collaboration with those parties.

Read more on this.
    Hi thanks for ur response its good,
    tell me whether there are any other APIs which would do the same work as that of MMAPI [accessing camera, capturing the image showing on mobile....so on] things.....if u know please let me know them please....please sir....

Super Contributor

well obviously on one platform (MIDP) there is only one api (MMAPI)...
    There might be thrid party libraries available, but they most probably would have been build on top of the MMAPI...
    Anyways, afaik there are none...