Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Rewards for Ovi exclusivity

Hello Folks,
    first of all, sorry for my openness. But I am angry.

My touchscreen only applications are not that unpopular (I get very good user responses), but sell very weakly on Ovi Store even thogubn they arein the most popular business applications list for e.g. the N97. They are furthermore exclusive to the Ovi Store.

I now wanted to ask you whether anybody of you is aware of any benefits of leaving an app exclusive to Ovi Store. Does not providing your apps to other manufacturers (Sony Ericsson) give you any benefits on Ovi, as in better visibility?

Or, would you go to SE straight away along with Ovi

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Re: Rewards for Ovi exclusivity

I have asked them the same question. The short answer is: "No." There are no benefits for exclusive content on Ovi.

Best Regards,
    Laurentiu

Super Contributor

Why do you think there'd be such exclusivity benefits? AFAIK, Nokia is not promising any such benefits. As a developer, you should use every possible channel you have at your disposal for the widest coverage.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Hello Folks,
    .... deleted text ....
    Or, would you go to SE straight away along with Ovi

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    Well surely the open approach of Ovi is much better than the tight constraint of Apple App store, where you CANNOT sell your apps anywhere else.

Some people complain that Ovi Store is like Apple store, but this openness is much better. Try the others and see if you can learn anything that you can use in other stores that can be transfered to you use of the Ovi store

thanks
    Jim

Petri, we have asked that for the simple reason we want to make an informed decision when we go to other stores. If you browse the Ovi Store you will find applications that advertise they are "exclusive on Ovi" and they are marketed and favored by the store. So why are you surprised we have asked about benefits?

And Jim, you said Ovi Store is open, or at least more open than Apple Store, then why do they rejected paid applications for the simple reason the "About box" contained a reference to application website?

Best regards,
    Laurentiu

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Why do you think there'd be such exclusivity benefits? AFAIK, Nokia is not promising any such benefits. As a developer, you should use every possible channel you have at your disposal for the widest coverage.
    Hi,
    to put this in a bit pof perspective: many of us habve not always been in the Ovi world, but are coming here with an ESD background. In an ESD world, exlusivitiies are MONEY. BIG money.

If you look at the front page of Handango or MobiHand, I am sure to show you 50 apps which are there not because they paid $$$ but because of some exclusivity deal. I negotiated these some time, folks...
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

Super Contributor

I'm pefectly aware of various exclusivity deals that can be made in various situations. All I'm saying that Nokia does not seem to be offering any public exclusivity benefits in the terms & conditions or elsewhere for selling on Ovi Store.

Until Nokia does, there are no exclusivity benefits and there's no point in limiting your distribution just to Ovi Store. And even if there would be future exclusivity benefits, they'd have to be significant enough for you to restrict yourself to only using Ovi Store.

I don't know if Nokia has privately made some unpublished one-to-one exclusivity agreements with select developers/publishers. That is, of course always possible, but probably not something that you'll see discussed on a public forum like this one.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post

I don't know if Nokia has privately made some unpublished one-to-one exclusivity agreements with select developers/publishers. That is, of course always possible, but probably not something that you'll see discussed on a public forum like this one.
    Hi petrib,
    sorry to offend!

These exclusivity deals are never made public. I just wanted to hear if someone managed to get SOMETHING out of them.

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    My other blogs:

Regular Contributor

There's nothing to complain, this is open market. Everyone is equal and there's no privileged publishers (at least I believe that's how it is). Personaly I think it's fantastic, because I don't have superb negotiating skills and I don't want to bother competing with skilled sales managers and salesmen to achieve some advanced place in the Ovi store for my product. I'm just a nerd who wants to focus on developing my products and that's all. That's the beauty of Ovi.
    Now if someone believes he could achieve much more download$ with his product, he is free to try other places too.
    Actually I don't see the point of binding to one place. Diversification is the key to success, that's for all industries.

Best regards,

Dusan