Discussion Board

CameraMMS - Captured picture doesn't correspond to picture in view finder on E52

Hi

I'm using the "Third Technology Preview of the Mobile Extensions" to create an application that allows the user to use the camera on the mobile phone to capture an image.

However, on the Nokia E52 I'm experiencing the problem, that the capture image doesn't respond to the image that I can see in the view finder before capturing the picture. Instead, the captured image shows the original target for the camera, but at a lower point, thereby missing the top of my target. (Examples in the bottom of this post).

This issues does not only occur in my own application, but also in e.g. the "CameraMMS" demo applications, that can be found in the qt_mobile_ext_demos.sisx" in the Mobile Extensions preview 3.

Does anybody know if there is a way to circumvent this issue, so that the picture that my user captures, is also the picture that the application will save?

Thanks in advance

Nikolaj

-- Examples --

An example of this can be seen on http://www.ByggeSoft.dk/temp/QT/1-pi...re-capture.jpg and http://www.ByggeSoft.dk/temp/QT/2-pi...er-capture.jpg .

As shown, I have created a piece of paper with four lines on it, saying "1", "2", "3" and "4". The first picture is a screenshot of the CameraMMS application BEFORE I capture the picture, and the second is a screenshot of the application AFTER I capture the picture. Unfortunately, the before and after picture is not the same. (And no, the difference isn't due to my small movement of the camera while pushing the button, as a similar result occurs each and every time, also when I don't have to take screenshots at the same time :-)

Regular Contributor

Re: CameraMMS - Captured picture doesn't correspond to picture in view finder on E52

Hi,

The camera wrapper component used by mobile extensions doesn't currently update the viewfinder with a post-capture image - instead, the viewfinder is simply stopped at the point of capture, and the actual captured image may therefore be different to what's shown on screen.

You would have to implement the post-capture view yourself, ie. load the saved jpg image and display it.

Re: CameraMMS - Captured picture doesn't correspond to picture in view finder on E52

Hi treinio

Thanks for your reply. This is the first time I have received an answer in this forum, so I was actually started to think that my posts was in some way not visible for others than me.

Unfortunately your suggestion can't solve my problem, since that's what I am already doing in my application. (I hold the camera very still; push the button to capture the image, while still holding the camera very still, and when I receive the QByteArray in the capture event I save it to an QImage and displays it in the viewfinder with the setImage function. But both the capture QImage and the image shown in the viewfinder shows a picture that is "lower" than the picture I took).

As mentioned previously the CameraMMS demo application has the exactly same problem on my E52. I have tried taking a new picture with the CameraMMS application to demonstrate how my E52 looks before capture, after capture, and when the captured picture is associated with a contact. As you can see on http://www.ByggeSoft.dk/temp/QT/B1-l...re-capture.jpg, http://www.byggesoft.dk/temp/QT/B2-s...viewfinder.jpg and http://www.byggesoft.dk/temp/QT/B3-t...ting-image.jpg it really isn't the same picture that is seen in the viewfinder before capture, and that is returned as a QByteArray immediately after capture).

I installed the application with three customers yesterday and all E52's had the same problem. And no, we didn't move the camera while pressing the capture button :-) Also, when using the normal camera application on the E52 the captured picture works as expected

So, I believe it must be a bug with the E52 software or hardware in relation to the viewfinder widget and similar?

Nikolaj

Hello Nikolaj,

I have noticed exactly the same problem on another S60 device (also S60 3.2).
    The viewfinder shows the correct image, but the captured image is offset in the same way you describe.
    I strongly suspect a firmware problem on the device and/or in the S60 3.2 platform.
    BTW, I am using J2ME, not QT, so this seems to be some common problem with the device.

The problem is easily recreated with a very simple getSnapshot call like this:

mRawImage = mVideoControl.getSnapshot("encoding=image/jpeg");

I have tried with both jpeg and png encoding; same result.

In addition, my width and height parameters if supplied are ignored, it always returns me 640x480
    I try to get 320x240 using getSnapshot("encoding=image/jpeg&width=320&height=240")

I installed another J2ME test application and that too exhibits the same problem.
    The same code works fine on almost all other S60 and S40 devices I have tested but I get this error also on E52, like you.

If I find any workaround or get feedback from Nokia about this, I will update this post.

-Paul
    Last edited by paul_coneta; 2010-02-07 at 07:28.

Hi

Thanks for the answer.

I have now posted this as a bug on http://www.forum.nokia.com/forms/Report_a_bug.xhtml and hope that Nokia will find a solution for this.

(At present I have a hard time telling my customers to buy Nokia phones instead of Windows Mobile phones to run our application, since taking pictures is a essential part of the application :-|

Nikolaj

Nokia Developer Expert

Thank you for reporting the issue.

This is apparently a platform bug, so affecting all 3.2 devices. A fix is currently in progress. In the meantime something that may help working around this bug: the error is due to the view finder and its ability to handle a rotated view. Parts of the rotated image are cut off and that is not done correctly for the preview image when using the following rotation modes: ERotation90, ERotation270 and ERotation0AspectChange.

Super Contributor

aaumala: do you have a workaround for this issue for J2ME developers?

Graham.

Hello!
    Good news for those who are still struggling with this problem. According to my quick tests, the latest firmware 051.018 seems to fix the issue. Well done Nokia, eventually

Teemu

Hi,

after upgrading Nokia E52 to 051.018 I am experiencing some minor problems.

While using CCamera::New2L, phone is giving USER 130 Panic in !CamServerCore. I have to admit there are no problems with viewfinder since.

Same panic is given when I try to start native camera application, so it seems that there is something wrong with the fw.

Please, if anyone could give me some suggestions how to solve this, it would be helpfull.
    Last edited by siux; 2010-11-24 at 20:58.