Discussion Board

final yr project - msg inbox -- help

Hi ,

I am totally new to this mobile application development . For my final yr project i wish to develop an application which can search through the inbox for messages , this will have a filter also , much like the phone book filter i.e once u press the letter 'p' all messages from senders starting with letter p should be displayed ...

i have no clue if this is possible or not and i'm kind of exhausted searching through related content on the net ...

Could u pls let me know if this is possible and direct me to few tutorials which will help me to develop this ....

Thanks in advance

Super Contributor

Re: final yr project - msg inbox -- help

It is not possible to access the device's inbox from a J2ME application. You would need to write a native application (for devices that support native applications).

Graham.

Could u pls elaborate a bit more ... ( i'm absolutely new to this domain ) .... wat language are native applications written ... ?

Super Contributor

That depends on the device's operating system.

Some only run MIDP Java applications ("MIDlets"). MIDlets run in a "sandbox", which limits what access they have to the device.

Symbian applications are normally written in C++. Windows Mobile apps are C++ or C#. iPhone applications are written in Objective C.

Native applications are specific to the operating system, just like Windows or MacOS applications.

Graham.

Suppose i have to develop the application i mentioned , how can i go about it .... ?

Super Contributor

Well, you cannot use MIDP Java. So, your first problem is to choose the device for which you are going to develop. How you develop the application will depend entirely on the platform you're targetting. Then, you need to start looking at the documentation and forums for that platform.

Graham.

hmm .. so i cant develop the application and run it on all the nokia phones , atleast phones belonging to a particular series say series 40 ... i have to choose a particular phone and develop code for the particular phone ... i'm not targetting the high end phones , phones like nokia express music ( phones in this range )

Super Contributor

Series 40 devices do not support native applications, so you cannot develop this kind of application on Series 40.

You may be able to develop this for Series 60, as the Series 60 platform supports native applications. If you this, your application should work on all devices with compatible versions of Series 60. You can learn more in the Symbian C++ quick start guide, and on the Symbian C++ discussion boards.

Graham.