Discussion Board

S60 5th ed - Nokia 5800

Hello,

I have a java application that I am trying to make it running on 5800. I know how to handle touch screen but there is still one thing I have not understood how to handle it. On normal phones, when you press some keys below the screen then this will display a menu (that you have populated with some Command object). Now my question is how to have this display menu shown with 5800. I was thinking that pressing the middle key will pop it up but it does not seem to be the case. In the worst case I will add some icons on the display to replace this missing menu but I would prefer to avoid it.
    Thanks, Bernard.

Super Contributor

Re: S60 5th ed - Nokia 5800

Commands work the same way on the 5800 as other phones. Unless you are using a Canvas in full-screen mode, then the soft-key labels will appear at the bottom (in portrait) or the right (in landscape), and can be pressed on the screen. A menu will appear if necessary. Don't press any keys, just tap the screen.

Graham.

Hello Graham,

Thanks for your answer.
    In fact, I am running in Canvas full screen mode, with this line in Nokia-MIDlet-On-Screen-Keypad: no in the jad file.
    And I am handling the pointer event in my application. So does it mean that with this config there is no way to have some soft keys or real key to launch the Command menu ?
    Maybe the easiest for me to do is to give the opportunity to the user to switch between full screen and not full screen mode. In the last case, if I understand correctly, he should have access to the menu soft keys.

Best regards, Bernard.
    Last edited by gautierb; 2010-01-14 at 07:18.

Super Contributor

It's a bad plan to mix full-screen mode with Commands. Most devices will not show the softkey bar in full-screen mode, so users will have no idea which key represents which action. Nor will you, since different devices will place Commands differently (so you can't paint your own softkey labels either).

Either use non-full-screen mode with Commands, or use full-screen mode without Commands and use keyXxxxx() and pointerXxxxx() events to handle input.

Graham.