Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Record Store facts and figures for S60 5th edition?

What are the RMS size limits per record and also total size for S60 5th Edition devices especially the Nokia 5800 Xpress Music?

Super Contributor

Re: Record Store facts and figures for S60 5th edition?

There should be no total size limit, save the amount of available space on the device.

I'm not aware of a limit to the record size, though that doesn't mean there isn't one. I wouldn't create records larger than 32k without running some experiments to verify it works on your target devices.

Oh, there is some RMS bug on the 5800XM... there's a thread here on the forum about it if you have a search around.

Graham.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    There should be no total size limit, save the amount of available space on the device.

I'm not aware of a limit to the record size, though that doesn't mean there isn't one. I wouldn't create records larger than 32k without running some experiments to verify it works on your target devices.

Oh, there is some RMS bug on the 5800XM... there's a thread here on the forum about it if you have a search around.

Graham.
    Would it be better to use the File Connection Api for the 5800XM rather than the record store, the OS of the 5800XM has a setting where you can set it to prompt user only once for read and write access, that way possibly we could do away with the security prompts even on a unsigned midlet.

Regular Contributor

Graham.
    That post is here and as per the report from r2j7 the issue has been fixed.

Super Contributor

I'd stick with RMS. As hideous as it is, it's less painful than FileConnection.

Yes, fixed now. There's all kinds of devices out there with buggy implementations of RMS. Keep use of RMS simple, and you can use it quite reliably.

Graham.

Regular Contributor

I'd stick with RMS. As hideous as it is, it's less painful than FileConnection.

Yes, fixed now. There's all kinds of devices out there with buggy implementations of RMS. Keep use of RMS simple, and you can use it quite reliably.

Graham.
    The 32k limit per record, lets say I have data bigger than that say 100K what do I do?

Super Contributor

Two questions:

1. What are the data? Lots of small items, or one large item?

2. What range of devices do you want to support?

Regular Contributor

Two questions:

1. What are the data? Lots of small items, or one large item?

2. What range of devices do you want to support?

1. I'm not sure at the moment, but it could be lots of small items and some large items.
    2. 5800xm

Super Contributor

If you only want to support that one device, then forget any limits (32k is just a rule of thumb). Find out experimentally if there are any limits. Data can easily be split across multiple records if there is a size limit. No problem about manipulating large (100s of kb) chunks of data in memory on a Series 60.

Graham.