Discussion Board

Thread: Maps qt or java

Maps qt or java

I am new to Nokia development, but have developed for Blackberry and Windows mobile (using java/c# resp.). I would like to port one of my apps over to Nokia (likely the E72). Can someone advise what the appropriate development platform would be? Java, Qt, Native C++? Looking at the nokia website it seems to be placing a lot of emphasis on Qt, I don't want to go down the java route if its going to be phased out in favor of Qt????

The app I intend to port by the way would involve some tcp sockets and ideally the ability to show resources on a map. If anyone can advise if these are both going to be possible using whatever platform.

Thanks,

Slicc

Super Contributor

Re: Maps qt or java

There is no immediate sign of Nokia "phasing out" Java. With a whole new Java Runtime Environment for Series 60, it's an area in which Nokia are still investing.

For you, the key advantage of using Java will be that you already have Java code (from your BlackBerry version). If you used the MIDlet model on BlackBerry, then your existing application might work unmodified. If not, then you might still be able to re-use a lot of existing code. You might also be more familiar with Java than C++, and you are probably going to find the MIDP API more familiar than Qt or Symbian. Choosing Java could also give you an application that will work (with little or no modification) on non-Symbian, non-Nokia devices.

On the downside, MIDP Java is wrapped in a whole bunch of security restrictions, and you will find that every time you create a new network connection, a security prompt appears. Some things, such as access to parts of the device's file system, or reading messages from the SMS inbox, are made impossible by the security model and minimal API.

I'm afraid I can't provide much insight into Qt vs. Symbian C++. You're probably better to ask in the Qt for Symbian board, where you'll probably find some developers who have used both. Certainly, in Symbian C++, you will be able to do pretty much anything any application can possibly do on your device.

From the limited description, your app should be possible by all three methods. There is, for example, a version of Google Maps developed in Java ME (it connects to the network and displays maps).

Hope that helps,
    Graham.

Great thanks. The java was the way I wanted to go.

I'll look at what I can do with the google maps api and take things from there.

Am i right in thinking that the Java SDK for S60 3rd edition feature pack 2 is the latest one?

Thanks,

Slicc

Super Contributor

Latest is not necessarily better. There is S60 5th edition But if you're not targetting 5th ed. devices, it might not be appropriate. In general, use the SDK that matches the oldest / lowest specification device you're targetting.

Also, I'll add that you don't need to use a Nokia SDK. You might prefer the Java ME SDK 3.0.

Graham.