Discussion Board

"Component 'QT' Missing"

I developed an mobile app and wanted to deploy to my E66. However, hit this "Component 'QT' Missing. Continue anyway?" error message when I was installing the app. Any idea about this issue? Thanks in advance!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: "Component 'QT' Missing"

Install the Qt libraries on your phone first (qt.sis), and the OpenC ones if you didn't do that already.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Install the Qt libraries on your phone first (qt.sis), and the OpenC ones if you didn't do that already.
    Where can one find the qt.sis file?

In your "Qt for Symbian" SDK installation. Default path would be c:\Qt\4.6.x\qt.sis
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I just hit that same error. I was hoping I could just include the Qt libraries within my application. I can't release something to end users and tell them to go and download something else first.

- Is there a way to somehow include the Qt libraries within the sis(x) of the application?

We had kindof dropped Symbian as a development platform as the AVKON UI and signing issues are dreadful. I noticed Qt had been ported so we are giving it one last chance - but the more I investigate the more unlikely it seems. Is there any documentation outlining the stages in which Qt will be rolled out onto real devices? (I presume they will be pre-installed with it fairly soon?)

Lew

Qt will be available on Nokia's Symbian^3 devices, starting with Nokia N8

For existing devices (Qt supports most Symbian/S60 3.1 and later device) there are two options:
    - embed Qt with the application - not recommended, not supported by Ovi Store
    - use the Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian solution - under development
    -- Lucian

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    For existing devices (Qt supports most Symbian/S60 3.1 and later device) there are two options:
    - embed Qt with the application - not recommended, not supported by Ovi Store

Does that mean that if I were to make a Qt app for S60 3.x devices, and were to include the Qt libraries in the installation SIS so that they wouldn't need to be fetched over-the-air, Ovi Store would absolutely refuse to accept it for distribution?

I'm asking because this approach might have its merits: it might be a nasty surprise for a user to download a smallish SIS file, and then have the installation take much longer than warranted by the size of the file, and also possibly incur network costs.

Quote Originally Posted by leisti View Post
    Does that mean that if I were to make a Qt app for S60 3.x devices, and were to include the Qt libraries in the installation SIS so that they wouldn't need to be fetched over-the-air, Ovi Store would absolutely refuse to accept it for distribution?
    The rules are rules. And then there are exceptions. Ask Ovi Store if they make exceptions from this rule and if so, publish.

Quote Originally Posted by leisti View Post
    I'm asking because this approach might have its merits: it might be a nasty surprise for a user to download a smallish SIS file, and then have the installation take much longer than warranted by the size of the file, and also possibly incur network costs.
    I see your point. However the shock can be attenuated by proper messaging in Ovi Store (or your own site) and it is likely less damaging than downloading again and again 10MB even if you need only 500KB out if it.

I strongly encourage all Qt developers to play with the smart installer and give feedback on all the aspects of that solution, from tools support, packaging and signing to end-user experience. If any part of the release process can be improved, let's review the options.
    -- Lucian

Super Contributor

We've been told, by unnamed authorities at Nokia, that exceptions to the size rule can be made if "merited". Whether this case would be "merited", though, is a question.

Thank you for both answers. I can certainly see the reason for not including the Qt libraries in an installation .sis, but I asked my question because in my current project, we're considering different options for distributing a Qt app, and I was tasked with investigating the possibilities. Other developers are probably doing the same.

Ok, I might have been too optimistic about the exceptions thing, and I don't wont it to sound as an invitation. My view on this is that your application would have to be really really really good for it to "merit" an exception from such a rule.

Now, if you have a [really really really] good Qt application, and especially if you have it running on Maemo as well, you should submit it to Calling All Innovators 2010, win the contest and then have Ovi Store ask for you to publish
    -- Lucian