Discussion Board

Super Contributor

J2ME Security Exposed

Hi All,

I started this thread to discuss very common problem of java security

As talked about MiniOpera it asks for the first time when we access web afterwards it never prompts while accessing network how can this be achieved
    Regards,
    Saurabh

Super Contributor

Re: J2ME Security Exposed

OperaMini does not connect directly to websites. It's not actually a web browser. It works via Opera's own proxy server, and it's the server that does much of the work. OperaMini can (depending on device support) use a SocketConnection to maintain a single connection to the server. By only connecting once, you only see one security prompt.

Graham.

Super Contributor

oh I see means it connects to their server 1st tym nd den prooces the requests without closing that connection and thus maintaining only one connection while user thinks it makes new connection every time we click an link Thanks Graham for clarifying me nd I think google maps does the same

However I think there is no workaround to solve this problem
    Regards,
    Saurabh

Regular Contributor

Hi,

You can set it up in Midlet Settings too. And I think signing the application may also solve the issue. In case, you don't want to go for signing then you can change the MIDlet setting to 'Ask Once' and then it will ask only for the first time when it makes http connection.
    Sunil
    Mobile Application Developer

Super Contributor

Thanks sunil for your reply can you please post the exact entry that we should enter in jad file
    Regards,
    Saurabh

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I think you got me wrong. By MIDlet setting I meant the mobile phone setting and not any setting in JAD file. You need to manually set the permission for your application to 'Ask First Time'. In S40 devices, just click on options -> Application Access. In s60 devices I think its in Application Manager.

I hope its clear now.
    Sunil
    Mobile Application Developer

Super Contributor

Thanks now I got U we have to manually set the permisiion for our app in app manager
    Regards,
    Saurabh

You can sign the midlet with a certificate (versign, thawte, ...). It will anyways ask you once (depending on certificate) like the "Ask First Time" option, but you don`t need do this manually. For testing purposes the option via the phones settings is good enough.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by g3r0 View Post
    You can sign the midlet with a certificate (versign, thawte, ...). It will anyways ask you once (depending on certificate) like the "Ask First Time" option, but you don`t need do this manually. For testing purposes the option via the phones settings is good enough.
    Whether or not the default security setting will be different for a signed application depends on the device. Signing does not necessarily set security options to "ask first time".

I expressed myselft unclear. It depends on the certificate AND the device. It`s very likely to ask you once when you use a "standard certificate", that was at least my experience so far.