Discussion Board

Implicit List and Tickers

Hi I created menus by using implicit lists. I wanted to have a ticker which displays a short description of the currently highlighted list item. I have been able to get the ticker to change when some one selects one of the list items. However i need it to the ticker to change text as the user is traversing through the list. Is this possible

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Implicit List and Tickers

If my memory serves me right you could try to use the ItemStateListener interface (attach that to the List) to see when a List item is selected, and thus changing the Ticker text in that portion of code...

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately List does not implement ItemStateListener only CommandListener. ATM until i find a solution i've set up a double click. When the user presses once the list item is selected and the ticker is changed. If user then presses the button again the application will carry out that command. Does anyone know of a more flexible list that has been implemented already that would be free and easy to use. As the list is also not allowing me to wrap text onto several lines even though i set it to wrap text.

Nokia Developer Champion

well then my memory didnt serve me right
    Another option in my opinion (even if it's gonna be time-expensive to implement) might be to implement a CustomItem...

Thanks Tiger79 but time is something in very short supply. I was hoping someone had already written a CustomItem that I could use

Super Contributor

You could start a Thread, which monitors the selected-index on the list periodically, and updates the ticker. This is nasty, but it might suit your need.

Graham.

Nokia Developer Champion

Bah Graham ! Thats just nasty !
    But it should work :P

Super Contributor

It's a horrible way to use threads, with one constantly polling to see if data has been changed by another. The polling thread will need to sleep (to make sure that the UI remains responsive). Get the sleep too long, and the ticker update will lag. Get it too short, and the app will consume lots of CPU time (and potentially lots of battery life). Nasty. I apologize for even suggesting it.

I've decided to remove the ticker for now. Thanks for the advice.