Discussion Board

Question Carbide useability issues

I'm getting used to Carbide 2.0, and don't hate it as much as I first did.

Having used Visual Studio for most of my console programming career, I am so used to it. I find that some relatively simple changes to Carbide would increase my productivity and decrease my frustration with the IDE quite a lot. I have spent quite some time trying to get VS to build, and then deploy my application to the phone for debugging, and am fine with the build, but not so good with the deploy and debug on device. I therefore am stuck with using Carbide it seems.
    Perhaps there are options I can set in Carbide to achieve the following concerns I have, and if so please tell me. Otherwise is it possible to request these changes be considered by the Carbide team?

1: In visual Studio, I can use "alt+w+2" to swap between the most recently viewed pair of files. This is something I do all the time, swapping between a cpp and header file, or between two files where I want to visually compare them, or cut and paste from one to the other. This is the single biggest annoyance I have with Carbide right now. having to always go to the tab at the top of the window and select the other file is really frustrating me. I find this functionality sooo handy in VS, and use it all the time.

2: Searching in the current window. I continually need to go to the top of the window, to search. I wish Carbide would give an option to "wrap" the search if I am currently at a line near the bottom, and continue searching from the top of the file I'm currently editing.

3: Search in Project : If it could offer an equivalent to the Visual Studio "Search in Entire Solution", that would bee great. Having to manually select folders for search is painful when you have multiple folders for different parts of the project, and those folders may not have a common root folder.

4: I often have to re select the current project, when I'm editing, and then want to build. It seems Carbide forgets what my current active project is. Having to click on it in the Project Explorer quite often, to get my code to build is annoying.

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Carbide useability issues

At least for the first point, you could try Ctrl+Tab, it swithes between currect Cpp & it's header file.

Talking Re: Carbide useability issues

Woot,
    That works excellently!
    It allows me to switch between the two most recent files exactly as I needed, which has just put a great big smile my face
    Thanks !

The other issues I mentioned are relatively minor and I can live with them.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Carbide useability issues

BTW, with teh search, hope you already know that Ctrl+K searches forward, and Ctrl+Shift+K seaches backwards..