Discussion Board

Can we have a sticky on certificates?

I sent my app to OVI, but it failed: OVI does not accept Verisign for Series40 5th Edition and Series40 5th Edition Feature Pack 1 devices.

The OVI failure report suggests using Thawte.

Great, now you tell me. As a small business, shelling out $895 for verisign, I now shell out around $500 for Thawte. But still haven't a clue about whether OVI will accept or reject my app, because of certificate issues. The app is compatible with S40 3rd Ed FP2 or later and S60 3rd Ed FP2 or later. SHould I make a Thawte distro just for S40 5ed (and fp1), and all others verisign, or can I sign with both Verisign and Thawte, or what?

Can Nokia put something in a prominent place about what certificates OVI accepts, and for which device series? It would make the submission process much smoother.

I have read throught the OVI publising docs, and don't see any guide on this, they mention Verisign or Thawte or Java Verified. Personal experience with OVI has shown me that there is more to this.

Re: Can we have a sticky on certificates?

A Thawte certificate doesn't work on the Nokia E72 (S60 3rd Ed FP2).

The problem is the code signing certificate is issued by "Thawte Code Signing CA". This certificate is issued by "Thawte Premium Server CA".

Thus:

Premium Server CA
    |
    Thawte Code Signing CA
    |
    Code Signing Certificate

The E72 contains only the "Premium Server CA". Therefore the "Code Signing Certificate" cannot be verified and therefore you will see during the installation an error.
    Last edited by jhnns; 2010-01-22 at 17:08.

Thanks, started a wiki

Thanks jhnns,

With your info and my experiences, I have started a Wiki on this. Hopefully it will help those who want to publish to OVI.

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/OVI_Certificates

Red face Re: Can we have a sticky on certificates?

jleplat,

I made a terrible mistake . I signed the jar with an expired certificate in stead of my new certificate. With the new code signing certificate of Thawte the midlet works on the E72.

No problem. I have just updated the WIKI to reflect that I don't know of any device on OVI which does not support Thawte.

All in all, Nokia is very good at publishing information, but the issue of which certificate company their handsets support is something I have not been able to find.

So it's up to us (developers) to fumble in the dark and try and supply the information the Nokia website does not show, when they blatantly have the information available to them: why else would they turn down my app based on the certificate authority it is signed with?

In doing this, I hope to help fellow souls out there who stump up their own hard earned cash to publish an app: $895 dollars is not pocket money to me, and I am fast getting the impression that I could have got away with just using Thawte.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Dear publishers,
    Thanks for your requests on this matter. It's known to OVI that the following devices do not work with thawte certificate:

We hope to get this information published soon in the publisher newsletter or other ways of communication to our publishers in near future. Sorry for any inconvenience. If you have other question, feel free to email us publishtoovi.support@nokia.com.

Regards,
    oviJude
    OVI publisher support