Can someone either explain, or refer me to information that can explain how WAP gateway buffering can affect socket transfers over GPRS.

I have examined the Nokia 7210, 5310i MIDP implementations and seen that they both support HTTP 1.1 "chunked" encoding. This should allow the use of a form of "streaming" HTTP (poor mans sockets) This seems to work fine using the emulators and a local socket application. (Other that the "block thread on network access" problem - does anyone have confirmation from Nokia that it exists and whether there is a work around)

I am only interested in GPRS so other transports are irrelevant. I have heard quotes that WAP gateway buffering may screw me up. If, as is implied, all GPRS traffic is routed through a WAP gateway, then surely sockets would be affected as well (on phones that have full socket support) Surely the WAP gateway does not snoop traffic to see if it HTTP and start buffering accordingly. I have seen at least one message complaining that the gateway reads ALL server data before returning. Does it do this at raw sockets level, or HTTP level. Does the gateway know (other than by snooping the messages) whether HTTP or raw sockets are in use or does the phone use an "alternate" gateway (since, in theory, it only supports HTTP) Surely the gateways are provided by the GPRS providers (O2 in my case)

I have yet to try the code on a real phone - soon maybe!

I'm Dazed an Confused

Has anyone any clues - and do Nokia respond to/review these postings.