Discussion Board

qt runtime install for s60 phone

I need a basic .sis file to install qt runtime/open C/C++ libraries on my Nokia N97 - i.e everything that's needed to run qt app but nothing more. Any idea where I can get this file without downloading the massive SDK set-up. Have installed the qtdemo but it adds too many apps & soaks up a lot of phone memory.

Richard

Re: qt runtime install for s60 phone

Quote Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
    I need a basic .sis file to install qt runtime/open C/C++ libraries on my Nokia N97 - i.e everything that's needed to run qt app but nothing more. Any idea where I can get this file without downloading the massive SDK set-up. Have installed the qtdemo but it adds too many apps & soaks up a lot of phone memory.

Richard
    Should be here: http://qt.nokia.com/products/platform/symbian but I guess it's not there.

The file you're looking for is qt_installer.sis which contains complete Qt runtime minus the demos. Nokia should upload this file somewhere but a workaround is to ask someone who has it.

If you can't get qt_installer.sis, you can install qt_demos.sis first then uninstall fluidlauncher.
    [URL="http://qt-mobility.blogspot.com"]Hendy's Qt Mobility & Symbian Development Blog[/URL]

Nokia Developer Moderator

Forum Nokia's policy is that middleware source files should not be available as standalone installs. Instead developers get them through the SDK installation and they are responsible for shipping them embedded in the released applications. Otherwise there is a risk of relying on the end-users finding and installing the middleware components, which creates at least bad use experience.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Forum Nokia's policy is that middleware source files should not be available as standalone installs. Instead developers get them through the SDK installation and they are responsible for shipping them embedded in the released applications. Otherwise there is a risk of relying on the end-users finding and installing the middleware components, which creates at least bad use experience.
    Thanks for replies.

I take your point Lucian & may in the future look into creating some Qt apps myself, but cannot understand how anything negative could come of offering a qt runtime install as readily available for Python, Java etc.

For the moment will take ceefour advice & work backwards from qtdemo installation.

Richard

Nokia Developer Moderator

The only bad thing would be, as in this case, developers forgeting to deploy fully functional applications, under the assumption that Qt or OpenC/C++ or whatever other dependency is already available somewhere else and the user should be able to fetch it.

My espectation is, whenever I buy an app either for mobile or PC, that the application will work out of the box, without having a need to install additional components from various [obscure] places.

PS. In the post above the "middleware source files" is a typo, we're obviously talking about SIS files and not the source code itself.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Question Re: qt runtime install for s60 phone

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    The only bad thing would be, as in this case, developers forgeting to deploy fully functional applications, under the assumption that Qt or OpenC/C++ or whatever other dependency is already available somewhere else and the user should be able to fetch it.

My espectation is, whenever I buy an app either for mobile or PC, that the application will work out of the box, without having a need to install additional components from various [obscure] places.

PS. In the post above the "middleware source files" is a typo, we're obviously talking about SIS files and not the source code itself.
    Some reasons are:
    • I have a 35 KB SIS app file. Embedding Qt will add another 10 MB on top. ;-)
    • I'm not sure how the embedded Qt will interact with (1) older installed Qt, (2) newer Qt installed, (3) future phone with Qt preinstalled.

These are imaginary scenarios. But the first one is real for a simple app.
    [URL="http://qt-mobility.blogspot.com"]Hendy's Qt Mobility & Symbian Development Blog[/URL]