Discussion Board

Preprocessor Directive

Hello,
    This is to inform you that this link http://www.netbeans.org/kb/55/preprocessor-syntax.html for preprocessor directive information is not working, please assist me if you have any links regarding preprocessor directive.

Amit

Super Contributor

Re: Preprocessor Directive

I would suggest that you avoid using preprocessing. It is quite unnecessary.

Graham.

Hello Graham,
    Thank you for replying me but you don't that I do porting where I usually come across preprocessing codes. Now fortunately I have one link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ha(VS.71).aspx a list of C preprocessor's and you know JAVA and C preprocessor are similar.

Amit

Super Contributor

Yes, I know exactly why you want to use a preprocessor.

In C, there is one preprocessor standard: it is part of the language. The Java standard does not have a preprocessor. There are many, different preprocessing tools used with Java, all non-standard. Some are the same as or similar too C preprocessors. Some are not.

There are two possibly situations you could be in:

1. You are porting code that already uses a preprocessor. Personally, I'd remove te preprocessing. It's faster in the long run. At the very least, you'll need the documentation for the specific preprocessor used by the original developer.

2. You are adding preprocessing to non-preprocessed code. In this case, my recommendation is: don't. Preprocessors are unnecessary; there are better ways. You might want to read this for a comparison of different porting techniques.

Graham.