Discussion Board

S60 app with support for libREST and Glib

I am developing a QT S60 app which uses libraries such as libREST (for RESTful interactions) and GLIB on linux. The app should work fine on linux and I am wondering if the same code using the same libraries will work on S60 right out of the box! In other words, generally speaking will libraries such as libREST, GLIB, openssl etc. work on S60 when you compile them for S60 on QT for Symbian on Linux or do I have to modify the libraries and adapt them for S60?

Thanks in advance.

Soham

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S60 app with support for libREST and Glib

It pretty much depends from case to case. GLib is part of OpenC and thus no port needed. libRest on the other hand it is a different story and before considering to use it the following questions should be answered:
    • Is there a Symbian/S60 port of the library? If not, you have some work to do
    • Is the library available as a signed SIS file for device deployment?
    • If not you will be responsible for packaging and releasing it, which is not an easy task
    • Is the licensing model compatible with my application?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Re: S60 app with support for libREST and Glib

Thanks a ton for your prompt reply Lucian.

I guess bullet 1 "Is there a Symbian/S60 port of the library? If not, you have some work to do" makes sense right away. I guess I have to start working on a REST Symbian port since I cannot find one out there. Maybe I can structure it within my program so that I can somewhat mitigate bullets 2, 3 and 4. Again thanks for hitting the nail right on the head.