Discussion Board

Compatability issues S60-3rd edition

Hi,

I have an application that I had worked on a few months back, one version was for the S60-3rd edition phone. It worked on the phones back then.

Fast forward to now, I modified this application by simply changing a few String variables in a source file to adapt it to a different property I'm working on, and all of the 3rd Edition Nokia S60 emulators are telling me the JAD and JAR files are 'Incompatible With This Phone'.

Any suggestions on things that destroy the compatibility? I learned the hard way back when I first started developing that MIDP and CLDC settings need to be just right (although that never broke the application in the emulators, just the actual phones).

Thanks

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Compatability issues S60-3rd edition

Hello rmarsch,

could you provide more details about the change you made with the String variables?

You mentioned error repro in emulators, have you repro'd it with actual devices?

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Super Contributor

You might like this guide to installation problems.

My guess is that you've re-built it with a newer development kit, and it's put "MIDP-2.1" in the JAD and MANIFEST, and your trying it on a 2.0 device.

Graham.

Sure. Here are the Strings in Resources.java:

public static final String COMPANY_NAME = "Lime"; //The name of the company this app is for
    public static final String PHONE_VERSION = "s60-p5"; //The version of the phone this is for

public static final String SPLASH_SCREEN_TEXT = COMPANY_NAME + " eTopUp\n " + "v2.2c "
    + PHONE_VERSION + "\n(c) 2009 MMS";
    public static final String SMS_NUMBER = "126"; //The number the SMS commands should be sent to
    public static final String LOGO_IMAGE_NAME = "/logo_home.png"; //The address of the image to be shown
    public static final int MIN_PIN_LENGTH = 4; // The minimum length of a pin
    public static final String ID_PREFIX = "767";
    public static final int ID_LENGTH = 7;

The old values used to be:

public static final String COMPANY_NAME = "Solomon Telekom"; //The name of the company this app is for
    public static final String PHONE_VERSION = "s60-p5"; //The version of the phone this is for

public static final String SPLASH_SCREEN_TEXT = COMPANY_NAME + " eTopUp\n " + "v2.2c "
    + PHONE_VERSION + "\n(c) 2009 MMS";
    public static final String SMS_NUMBER = "166"; //The number the SMS commands should be sent to
    public static final String LOGO_IMAGE_NAME = "/SolomonTelekomLogo.png"; //The address of the image to be shown
    public static final int MIN_PIN_LENGTH = 3; // The minimum length of a pin
    public static final String ID_PREFIX = "";
    public static final int ID_LENGTH = 7;

I have only tried it in the emulators as we are having a hard time locating our data cable to load the application onto a physical phone at the moment.

Here is a list of includes used, if certain libraries cause issues:

import javax.microedition.io.*;
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.*;
    import javax.microedition.midlet.*;
    import javax.wireless.messaging.*;

Another comment:
    In NetBeans the debugger and CLDCPhone2 emulator are throwing NullPointerException in reference to using Image.createImage(Resources.LOGO_IMAGE_NAME), but when I run emulators like s60-edition 5 outside of NetBeans the application runs fine and the image loads.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    You might like this guide to installation problems.

My guess is that you've re-built it with a newer development kit, and it's put "MIDP-2.1" in the JAD and MANIFEST, and your trying it on a 2.0 device.

Graham.
    Thanks, but as I mentioned I dealt with MIDP and CLDC issues thoroughly in the past. I have it set to MIDP-2.0 and CLDC-1.1 per this website's detailed information of the S60 3rd Edition platform. The emulators tested are both FP1 and standard, no device has been used at this point.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rmarsch View Post
    Another comment:
    In NetBeans the debugger and CLDCPhone2 emulator are throwing NullPointerException in reference to using Image.createImage(Resources.LOGO_IMAGE_NAME), but when I run emulators like s60-edition 5 outside of NetBeans the application runs fine and the image loads.
    Do you mean that createImage() is throwing an IOException, leaving a variable set to null? Are you sure that the file name cases match? Some implementations are case sensitive, some are not.

Thanks, but as I mentioned I dealt with MIDP and CLDC issues thoroughly in the past. I have it set to MIDP-2.0 and CLDC-1.1 per this website's detailed information of the S60 3rd Edition platform. The emulators tested are both FP1 and standard, no device has been used at this point.
    I'd double-check. "Incompatible with this phone" generally means that the CLDC or MIDP version specified in the JAD or MANIFEST is greater than the version installed on the device. Can you post your JAD and MANIFEST for us?

Graham.

Do you mean that createImage() is throwing an IOException, leaving a variable set to null? Are you sure that the file name cases match? Some implementations are case sensitive, some are not.
    Yes, it ends up being a NullPointerException when it attempts to append it to the Frame, so good point it is really an IOException from the createImage() method. I'm 100% certain the case is correct, maybe it does not like '_' underscores?

I'd double-check. "Incompatible with this phone" generally means that the CLDC or MIDP version specified in the JAD or MANIFEST is greater than the version installed on the device. Can you post your JAD and MANIFEST for us?

Graham.
    Doubled-checked and still is those settings.

Manifest is as follows:
    MIDlet-1: MTopUPSMSMIDlet,,MTopUPSMSMIDlet
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 72431
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: RetailerTopUpS603c.jar
    MIDlet-Name: RetailerTopUpS603c
    MIDlet-Vendor: Vendor
    MIDlet-Version: 1.0
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.1
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.1

Thanks for the prompt responses, by the way.

Super Contributor

MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.1
    Uh huh...

Change that to 2.0, you'll be cooking.