Discussion Board

N85 and Java Runtime 1.4

Hi,
    I have an java application that needs to use accelerometer. My N85 has accelerometer so it should work. When I run the application I got NoClassDefFound error: javax.microedition.sensor.DataListener. => I have the old Java in the device.
    The problem is that the appropriate Java API JSR256 is included in Java Runtime 1.4.
    My question is how to get my Java updated. Is the only way how to update the software only through the Nokia Suit and when it did not offer me the version I want I can do nothing about it?

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: N85 and Java Runtime 1.4

So far as I know, 1.4 is supported only on Series 60 5th Edition, and will not work on the N85.

Graham.

Nokia Developer Champion
    This API has nothing to do with runtime version 1.4. Nokia has to offer that API which bridges Java with Symbian. Nokia does this for some recent devices. Please, have a look at this and that threads.

thanks,
    so in the other words, it is imposible for me to use the accelerometer on N85 right from Java? Is Nokia planning to do anything about it?
    But it is not clear to me: there is an API for communicating with accelerometer in the N85`s Symbian why the Java runtime does not support it?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jindol View Post
    it is imposible for me to use the accelerometer on N85 right from Java?
    That's right. Nor the N95, N96, etc. Any device prior to the N97.

Is Nokia planning to do anything about it?
    I cannot speak on Nokia's behalf but, as a rule, manufacturers do not add new APIs in firmware upgrades. It would increase the cost of supporting the device, and would be of little use. Any mass-market software would not be able to make use of the extra API, since it would still have to work on non-upgraded devices. Therefore, the upgrade would be of little or no value to the majority of customers.

But it is not clear to me: there is an API for communicating with accelerometer in the N85`s Symbian why the Java runtime does not support it?
    This will have been a commercial decision on Nokia's part. Possibly, the software was not ready in time, and would have delayed the release of the device. Upgrades to the Java runtime will be made on a priority basis, and other APIs may have considered more important.

Graham.

Not very positive, but thanks for the explanation anyway.
    jd