Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Download / Save / Read files...

Hi,

I'm dealing with an issue were i need to download a specific jar file, save it to the phone's memory and and then read & install it.

I don't want to download it and install it immediately, i mean i really need to download, save it to a particular location and then read it from that location and install it from there.

Re: Download / Save / Read files...

I couldn’t find a way to do this with the original Nokia’s browser (I'm not saying it may not be one but I just quit), instead a very easy and elegant way is to install SkyFire (absolutely free) which would allow you to do just that. Another great advantage of SkyFire is its ability to display Flash based web sites – on your phone.

Hope this helps.

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Download / Save / Read files...

U wanna do following things..
    Read from Server : OK
    Save or Write to some location at filesystem : OK
    Read JAR from filesystem : Not OK in case of S40 and other devices like sony, moto samsung etc.. Coz in s40 devices as u write the JAR to filesystem it gets installed automatically. Then no JAR will found there.. In Some devices like Samsung or Sony fileconnection API doesnt recognise JAR format..

Also suppose u save the jar to some location and also u are able to read the same but how can u start the installer for the bytes or for stream used for reading the JAR using FileConnection. In s60 devices u can install the JAR directly with the help of platformRequest("path of jar file") without using FC Api. Apart from S60 devices u will not be able to install the JAR using platformRequest or using any other API as per my knowledge..
    thanks,
    jitu_goldie..

KEEP TRYING..

Regular Contributor

Re: Download / Save / Read files...

[QUOTE]as u write the JAR to filesystem it gets installed automatically. Then no JAR will found there..

It's not a problem for my i will install it automatically so if it gets installed automatically it will save me time, i just need to make sure that the device checks if the file exists before i call platformRequest()

In fact for the current phones i'm working on i'm downloading the jad file and install it manually, i should just add a check that if the file doesn't exist, that means that the jar file is installed automatically, or maybe if i get a destroyApp() after i write the file that means that it was installed automatically so its not a problem i just need to add that check and i'll be fine, thanks mate