Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Problem when installing qt-mobility extension

Hi,
    I want to write a program using the camera of the device. It seems that I need to install the Qt Mobility API first.

I downloaded the "New Qt APIs Technology Preview 2" from http://qt.nokia.com/developer/new-qt-apis and installed it under the Installation Guide.

Here are the commands that I used:
    "cd c:\QtMobility\%DISTNAME%
    configure
    make"

however, after "make" command, it showed "'mwccsym2.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command", which I don't understand.

After that, I tried to build the cameracapture example on the emulator, using "qmake", but it showed "Project ERRO: please use -examples configure switch to enable building examples". What does this mean?

I have been confused by these problems for a couple of days. So anyone could help?

Thx in adv.

Regular Contributor

Problem when installing qt-mobility extension

Hi,
    I want to write a program using the camera of the device. It seems that I need to install the Qt Mobility API first.

I downloaded the "New Qt APIs Technology Preview 2" from http://qt.nokia.com/developer/new-qt-apis and installed it under the Installation Guide.

Here are the commands that I used:
    "cd c:\QtMobility\%DISTNAME%
    configure
    make"

however, after "make" command, it showed "'mwccsym2.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command", which I don't understand.

After that, I tried to build the cameracapture example on the emulator, using "qmake", but it showed "Project ERRO: please use -examples configure switch to enable building examples". What does this mean?

I have been confused by these problems for a couple of days. So anyone could help?

Thx in adv.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Problem when installing qt-mobility extension

Quote Originally Posted by pta0007 View Post
    It's not complicated at all. If you open a command prompt and type in the command "c:\>dosomemagicstuff.exe" the command interpreter will tell you "'dosomemagicstuff.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command", which is very likely true, as I don't expect you have a program named dosomemagicstuff.exe on your PC. But even if you have it, it would have to be saved in the root of the drive C:\ or in one of the paths specified in the system environment variable "PATH".

So the questions you need to ask yourself are: do I have mwccsym2.exe? and does the system know where to find it?

mwccsym2.exe is the executable for the Nokia C/C++ compiler, a tool required for emulator builds, and available as part of Carbide.c++'s installation. If you have Carbide.c++ installed then you have it too, although you may need to update it in order to fully support Qt. Info about this can be found in Qt's installation documentation. Btw, the latest Carbide.c++ v2.4 does not need that patch anymore.

And that solves the part about having the tool installed. Now, when installing Carbide.c++ there is a pop-up dialog telling you that in order to use the compiler from command line you should run a configuration utility which is available in Carbide's application group entry in Windows' Start menu. Running that will solve your problem completely.

On the other hand, an emulator build will not help you much anyway so you might as well ignore it and instead run make for device builds only, like "make debug-gcce"
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    On the other hand, an emulator build will not help you much anyway so you might as well ignore it and instead run make for device builds only, like "make debug-gcce"
    Thanks for your explanation. I found the path to mwccsym2.exe and used "configure.bat -examples" command to get the installing problems solved.

Now I got two new questions:

1,When I tried to build the cameracapture example on device, using "make release-gcce", the compile output showed
    "WARNING: Can't find following headers in User or System Include Paths
    "cameracapture.h"
    (User Inc Paths "\qt\qtmobility\qt-mobility-src-1.0.0-tp2\build\release\cameracapture\moc\")
    Dependency list for "\Qt\QtMobility\qt-mobility-src-1.0.0-tp2\build\Release\cameracapture\moc\moc_cameracapture.cpp" may be incomplete
    "
    and so was the warning for "settings.h". And indeed there are not cameracapture.h and settings.h at the location ...\moc\ .I think the example is a completed project ready for build and I don't need to edit anything else. Then what's the problem?

2,If I would like to build my own project using the QtMobility, what should I do to congifure my project. Cause I found that I can't use the header file such as <experimental/qcamera.h>, <qmediarecorder.h>,<qmediaservice.h>, which were used in the example.

I hope I have stated my problems clearly.
    Thx again.

Nokia Developer Expert

Configure in this case isn't the configure from autotools, it's a bat/shell script. It should run qmake for you after setting various things up for you based on the options your provide to the script.

Try "configure -help" to see what the various options are. At the very least you'll probably want to use "configure -examples", and if you're only interested in the multimedia subproject then the "modules" will probably save you some compilation time.

Hope this helps,

David Laing

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by dalaing View Post
    and if you're only interested in the multimedia subproject then the "modules" will probably save you some compilation time.
    g
    yes, multimedia is what I need. Could you explain more about how to use "modules" in my project? Cause I got totally confused about Qt-mobility now.

btw,I think I have got the installing problems solved. But how could I use that. I found I couldn't use the header file such as <qcamera.h>,<qmediarecorder.h>, which I think belong to the qt-mobility.

thx again.

Nokia Developer Expert

Whoops - the modules features is currently only available from the mobility git repository, so if you're working from a packaged version of mobility you won't get to use the modules features until the next package comes out.

If you can't use the header files you should probably check the INCLUDEPATH variable in your .pro file(s) - taking a look at some of the multimedia examples should help you there.

Cheers

Dave