Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

display autostart in Qt application ?

hi,

I am wiritting application with Qt 461 for symbian, my appkication must autostart, but for signed i must put
    option for user to display autostat in the interface of application.

for integrate autostart i used:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Qt_for_Symbian

but i don't know who put option to display or enable autostart in my Qt application ?
    i have looke to the code in web :
    TBool ..::ProcessCommandParametersL(CApaCommandLine &aCommandLine)
    {
    iEikonEnv->RootWin().SetOrdinalPosition(-1);
    User::After(6000000);
    if(aCommandLine.OpaqueData().Length() > 0)
    {
    // Opaque data exists, app. was manually started from the menu
    }
    else
    {
    // App. was auto-started ->exit if auto-start flag in settings is OFF
    }

return QtS60_PrayerTimes::ProcessCommandParametersL( aCommandLine );
    }

plase where can i put this code ? in main.cpp or in myprog.cpp or in myprog.h ?

thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: display autostart in Qt application ?

Hi,

As the code you're refererring to is supposed to be implemented in CAknAppUi::ProcessCommandParametersL(), there is no easy solution for a Qt application.

There is the static function CApaCommandLine::GetCommandLineFromProcessEnvironment(), but that doesn't seem to work; I tested it and opaque data is always zero, even if it was defined in the registration resource file.

You might want to consider writing a separate (non-GUI) application to add on the startup list. This 'launcher' app would then store the autostart setting, and launch the actual app if the autostart feature is set.

As you probably want to have a user-configurable UI option for it, you'll need to store the setting in such a manner that both processes (launcher + main app) can access it. One solution is to save a config file in c:\system\data\<myappconfigfile.ini>, as \system folder is not protected by platform security and therefore does not require any capabilities for read/write access.

Regular Contributor

I quickly glanced at the linked documentation and I don't see any issue with this being implemented in pure Qt level. Requirements where that default autostart is to be set off. and user can set it to on/off.
    Have QSetting to have save the state and check for that in your main().

pseudo main:
    if (autostart)
    startmodebootup=true
    else if (startmodebootup)
    //with auto,app killed, started from menu
    else
    //without auto, started from menu

pseudo select(option):
    autostart=(option)

Hi;

The probleme in my Qt application, is who can know if the application is run by user or in boot of devise in reboot ?

help me please, it s a cretical for signing my application

Regular Contributor

Hi,

As HAF said, the problem is in detecting if an application has been launched from the startup list of from the menu. Startup list manager seems to launch the application exe directly, omitting any definitions in the app registration resource file. In a native Symbian app we can use this knowledge to decide whether to always run (when launched from the menu) or exit if autostart feature is turned off (when launched from startup list).

I don't see how using QSettings alone would solve this, the only way to work around this (in my experience) is to have a separate launcher application.

I wrote an article about this, look here.
    Last edited by treinio; 2010-02-04 at 16:24. Reason: typo

Hi,

Thanks very well to treinio.

His exemple has resolve my probleme to display-enable autostart.

HAF

Hi,

Thanks for your help in your article.

I have take the example to made my Qt a option to user to display or enable autostart

my application is for S60v5, s60v31 and s60v32. then i must use 3 differents sdk in my projet in carbidec++
    I have make autostartdefs.pri like this :
    # S60 SDK root path (modify if needed)
    #symbiansdk = "/S60/devices/S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0"
    symbiansdk = "/Symbian/9.2/S60_3rd_FP1_9"
    #symbiansdk = "/S60/devices/S60_3rd_FP2_SDK_v1.1"

# UID of the application that will be launched (change to a unique one)
    TARGET.UID3 = 0x2002C689

# Define launcher UID3 (change to a unique one) - do not use '0x' prefix!
    s60launcher.UID3 = "2002C689"

and i build my project for each sdk

but in installation on device the installaion make "enable to insall"
    in the moment :
    "/S60/devices/S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0/epoc32/release/$(PLATFORM)/$(TARGET)/as_s60launcher.exe" - "c:\sys\bin\as_myapp.exe"

please help me

thanks

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by HAF View Post
    but in installation on device the installaion make "enable to insall"
    in the moment :
    "/S60/devices/S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0/epoc32/release/$(PLATFORM)/$(TARGET)/as_s60launcher.exe" - "c:\sys\bin\as_myapp.exe"
    You should use different UIDs for your app (TARGET.UID3) and the launcher (s60launcher.UID3) in autostartdefs.pri, as they are two separate executables.

Also, there shouldn't be any need to do separate builds for 3rd FP1, FP2 & 5th Edition, Qt is cross-platform.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by treinio View Post
    Hi,

As the code you're refererring to is supposed to be implemented in CAknAppUi::ProcessCommandParametersL(), there is no easy solution for a Qt application.

There is the static function CApaCommandLine::GetCommandLineFromProcessEnvironment(), but that doesn't seem to work; I tested it and opaque data is always zero, even if it was defined in the registration resource file.
    Yes it works, however there is a gotcha, you can only call it once, and since QApplication is a wrapper for all the essential Symbian classes, including CAknAppUi, it gets called internally by CAknAppUi::ProcessCommandParametersL, so the easy solution is to call it on your main function before calling QApplication's constructor. It took a lot of guess and reverse engineering work to figure this one out since it's not documented, it's only mentioned on the changes section of the SDK.

Treinio, thanks very much for the article. Unfortunately I can't get it to work. Can you suggest an approach to debugging an application that's meant to autostart?

For the moment I've taken the resources from your article - http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Qt_for_Symbian - assembled, compiled, signed it with my Dev Cert and deployed to an N95 from QT. The application starts and I'm able to toggle the setting but nothing happens when I restart the handset.

I've also tried this: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Qt_for_Symbian and the application attached to the article works in that it starts on boot of my N95, so apparently the autostart API is functioning.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Hi treinio,

One question (might be very stupid), your article here serves the purpose of autostart but does it also help in differentiating autostart and manual/user start ?

-DJ

Hi,

got the trick.. just added an argument in s60launcher.cpp by modifying _LIT(KNothing, "1"); and checked the argument count in Qt app's main. argc is 2 after that instead of 1.

-DJ

Regular Contributor

Hi djagadish7,

That was not a stupid question, that's indeed a feature that S60AutoStart is currently missing - i'll add that in there. And yes, modifying the command line arguments in s60launcher.cpp is the easiest way to do it.

phillipfitzsimmons: Maybe add some debug file-logging to s60launcher.cpp to see if it's started at all?

Regular Contributor

Hi treinio
    Many thanks for the article. I followed it and I am able to start my app automatically without any problem.

Regular Contributor

Hi, I used this link http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...Qt_for_Symbian, to integrate autostart in my application. Its working fine without any problems, but when I use a space for the application name in DEPLOYMENT.display_name, the application is not autostarting. Can you please help.