Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Petition: can we have a release time plan, please?

Hello,

after now waiting for months for an update to 1.9.7 for my handsets (e70, e71), I really would get some info from the Nokia devs (because they control the process):

- When are are further releases of 2.0 planned?
    - For what devices?
    - Whats the plan after that?

So far there have been lots of 'anytime soon (tm)' messages, but of course, those don't mean anything. The overall issue with the current approach is that Nokia is creating great deals of frustration (at least for me). Even a message of 'we are actually not going to update pys60 for old devices, you have to buy new devices for upgrades' would be preferred over the zero-information policy that is now in place.

This is all said because having python on S60 is a jolly great idea. If Nokia supported python a bit bit more full-hearted, having a proper release and information policy, and an well documented and usuable signing process for free apps - well, maybe devs would stop jumping ship (iphone, android).

So, please join this petition (or tell me if its rubish).

Cheers,

Joerg

Super Contributor

Re: Petition: can we have a release time plan, please?

I think it is no rubbish, it is a valid request that appeared several times in this dibo.
    I remember last year when versions were released at each month. It was fantastic ! But 1.9.6 took two months and 1.9.7 nearly 1.5 months. And no more public versions+SDKs.

Regular Contributor

Agreed. It's been 5 months since 1.9.7 was released, with no clue when or if there will be a general release of 2.0

i dont like python 2.0 ...

i compaired 2.0 with 1.4.5
    guess which one was a way faster and didnt used much ram -.- (1.4.5)

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by AJ____92 View Post
    i compaired 2.0 with 1.4.5 guess which one was a way faster and didnt used much ram -.- (1.4.5)
    Yes, it is true but 1.9.x (and upcoming 2.0) is based on Python 2.5.4, with more modules, features and improvements. Moreover, automatic installation of python runtime will be really useful. And if it comes with Ovi support it'd be perfect. Of course I don't have any additional info about 2.0 and its release date but I am anxiously waiting. It will appear soon, I believe. Don't give up, folks !

Nokia Developer Expert

Yes please, I would like to know a release date for PyS60 2.0 SDK.

i also hope that further releases of python will be better.
    If python becomes a standart on Symbian it would be a BIG success for developers :P

Regular Contributor

We have been asking for a road map for a while and so far nothing has happened. Either something major is going on behind the scenes or (more likely) it's some political bullshit inside nokia. At this time I really believe that the project has been abandoned and resource shifted to something else (Symbian^4 and QT most likely)

Somebody previously mentioned that the python runtime might be taken over by the Symbian foundation and at this point I think this might be the best course. Heck, anything is better than the current situation. I used to file bug reports regularly but at this point it's kind of pointless.

Frustrated.

Raf
    http://www.bdcsoftware.com/development-blog

Quote Originally Posted by raf1hh View Post
    Somebody previously mentioned that the python runtime might be taken over by the Symbian foundation and at this point I think this might be the best course. Heck, anything is better than the current situation. I used to file bug reports regularly but at this point it's kind of pointless.
    I guess that still won't bring updates to existing handsets in the foreseeable future. :-( Looks like one can use python as a personal toy, but using it in any reasonable way to distribute apps is dreaming then....

Disappointed,

Joerg

Regular Contributor

Unfortunatelly thats what it is right now. My GoogleVoice app as been downloaded over 5000 times and many users have issues with it due to the buggy python runtime (various modules like contacts and socket just crash the runtime). And the worst part is I can't even tell them when those issue might be fixed....

I have seen some movement from SF on the python front-end but it's too early to tell what and when it will happen.

One thing that worries me is that this thread only received 8 replies so far and it seems like this issue is not that urgent for many developers.

Raf
    http://www.bdcsoftware.com/development-blog

it is !!! 4 sure it is important.
    but what can ONE person do ?

maybe we should take pyS60 project over and develope our own version xD ?
    ok but now without jokes:
    python is the best (easiest language) for making so many and realy nice apps or tool ir what every you can make from it.
    I don't know why somebody decided to switch to other stuff like Qt ??? what is that -.- i ve never seen any app except the demo !!!
    and i dont want Qt i wanna stay with python ! a bug free python -.-

why so many devs reply ? cause devs know how to get around those bug.
    and thats a developer forum so no user is here xD

i just hope python 2.x will be great cause 2.0 isnt at all !

Super Contributor

i also hope that further releases of python will be better.
    If python becomes a standart on Symbian it would be a BIG success for developers :P
    Did you take a look in symbian source code ? There are a lot of Python code there, helping to build things, downloading packages and so on. Moreover, Mercurial is the version control system and it is written in Python as well (modern and flexible VCS). So, Symbian guys know the Python power, no doubt.
    If you look at Maemo, you will see many developers talking about PyGTK or PyQt (PySide, ASAP). Python is very popular at Maemo as well.

If I was in control, I would like to create a new appuifw, following Symbian^3 guidelines and bindings for Qt using PySide (thinking in Symbian^4). And I would like to release Python 2.0 with OVI support and with automatic runtime download. My dreams ...

Super Contributor

maybe we should take pyS60 project over and develope our own version xD ?
    ok but now without jokes:
    In fact, there is a project: PyS60 community. But I dont know if it remains active.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Couldn't resist to stay away from this discussion. I am sure a lot of developers would be disappointed since there are no more regular releases and updates, even PyS60 may have lost many developers that went another way because of the non-availability of a stable release and persistence of many versions creating ambiguity among end users what to use and what not!

Anyway, this all was going to happen - they were dot releases after all

Regarding the release plan, the team could have been more informative to the community, but I guess the things not shared are due to business policy or things are not clear so far. Anyway, a couple of weeks more and we should be happy! Stick to PyS60!

Quote Originally Posted by marcelobarrosalmeida View Post
    with automatic runtime download. My dreams ...
    I believe the smart installer (i.e. automatic runtime download, when installing PyS60 applications) is there in PyS60 2.0. Support for Ovi store would no longer be a dream, since the newer stable version would support the smart installer - lets see!

Not far guys!
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Nokia Developer Moderator

Smile Re: Petition: can we have a release time plan, please?

Quote Originally Posted by marcelobarrosalmeida View Post
    In fact, there is a project: PyS60 community. But I dont know if it remains active.
    I believe as indicated earlier by a PyS60 team member, there would be provisions for allowing community contributions to the PyS60 project with the forthcoming release.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com