Discussion Board

Data transfer over VOIP

Hi All,

I am a beginner to VOIP on S60 and in general also . Actually we have developed an application for S60 3rd FP1 which takes the sound input from mic using APS and send this voice over the CSD line. On the other hand we receive data from data line and play it on earpiece using APS. This is nearly working perfectly. Now the main issue is that we want to replace the CSD line with VOIP because of non availability of CSD in every network/country. So i have few concerns about it as i still do not know from where to start and how.

1. Is it possible to use VOIP instead of DataLine for transferring Encrypted voice data? If yes then how any pointers please.
    2. I want to know how to utilize VOIP for my need so please give some starters.
    3. I have used APS for recording and playing and understand its uses but still unable to know how data transferring can be done through VOIP.

Thanks & Regards

Nokia Developer Champion
    What do you mean with ‘CSD’?
    If you mean the circuit-switched data-channel then you have a problem because GSM optimises/compresses voice a lot. Using this channel for data transmission: Puh. Here in this section, we talk about Voice over IP using an existing data bearer. If there is no single data bearer (not even CSD) then you are lost. Did that help?

Re: Data transfer over VOIP

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    What do you mean with ‘CSD’?
    If you mean the circuit-switched data-channel then you have a problem because GSM optimises/compresses voice a lot. Using this channel for data transmission: Puh. Here in this section, we talk about Voice over IP using an existing data bearer. If there is no single data bearer (not even CSD) then you are lost. Did that help?
    Hi,

I am saying currently i am using Data line to transfer voice data by writing on data port using RComm. For better understanding you can also refer to
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...dition_devices

My question is that i want to send this data over IP some sort of making VOIP because the data i want to send is voice data. I want to replace this DataCall with a IP call. Like right now i am making a data call between two phone now i want to make VOIP call instead of it and want to transfer voice data after encrypting it. Is it clear ?
    So i am just exploring the possibilities? Please help.

Nokia Developer Champion
    I would ask that question in the Symbian section: How to create a packet connection for data exchange? This has not much to do with VoIP as it is discussed here. However, if you do not need compatibility with your encrypted voice over CSD solution, you could take advance of the SIP protocol and its encryption for signalling- and media-data. All you have to do is to deploy a VoIP/SIP server and configure your mobile phones. Anyway, I would start reading here…