Discussion Board

Post How to develop an application which plays existing MP3 Web radio streams frm internet

I want develop an application that can install on the mobile phone like a game or any other application which will connect to the Internet through the mobile phone operator's network and links to the radio stations from all over the world.It will be based on one single basic functionality: playing a given set of Internet radio channels. Just start up the player and it immediately starts playing audio. There is no need to define play lists or find and type in URL's.It'll play from a specific web radio.

Super Contributor

Re: How to develop an application which plays existing MP3 Web radio streams frm inte

hhmm that's called audio streaming...
    there are actually dozens of such applications but they all sound bad.. that's mostly because j2me only supports rtsp streams (through it's MMAPI), so it uses UDP protocol instead of TCP...
    one "trick" is to use multiple players for that which will download a piece of the stream, play it and in the meantime the next piece will be downloaded... This is called progressive downloading... the problem with this implementation is the audible gap inbetween one of the players stopping and the next one starting...
    If you are frowning right now and you don't understand the used terms do yourself a favor : just forget about making a decent J2ME streaming client

Re: How to develop an application which plays existing MP3 Web radio streams frm inte

@Tiger79,thanks for your reply. I understand your words partially. I wanna know how to implement such application can you please show me a way.

Super Contributor

If you are frowning right now and you don't understand the used terms do yourself a favor : just forget about making a decent J2ME streaming client
    that is still valid
    Anyways you might want to document yourself first by reading carefully the MMAPI documentation..
    Also searching on this forum will result in a general conclusion that streaming mp3 from the web in j2me isn't hat achievable, and when people are managing the result isn't sounding that good As is gaps in the audio...