Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Expert

"Twittle" publisher success story

Here's another success from an Ovi Publisher. Flash Widgets, LLC, a Dallas, Texas based developer created "Twittle", a mobile Twiter client for Nokia S60 5.0 and 3.2 devices:
    http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/ov...-twitter-feeds

This app has been purchased from Ovi Store by consumers using Nokia devices in 31 countries. Additionally this is an Adobe Flash Lite application whose development was funded through the Open Screen Project Fund:
    http://www.openscreenproject.org/dev...t_started.html

Best,
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]
    Sr. Services Marketing Manager, Forum Nokia
    Publishing to Ovi Store: [url]http://publish.ovi.com/[/url]
    twitter: [url]www.twitter.com/bperry[/url]
    blog: [url]www.mobileperry.com[/url]

Re: "Twittle" publisher success story

Hi Bill,

What are you saying? Being sold on 31 countries or having 192,000 free downloads (Carnival Comics) makes you a success story on Ovi?

Do you really want our comments on these?

Best regards,
    Laurentiu

Regular Contributor

I could agree with intellsys. We would rather read success stories for paid apps. Story about a paid app with +100k purchases will be much more encouraging.
    Thanks

I've sold in 66 countries. I'd classify it as epic fail

Nokia Developer Expert

Intellsys - we're hearing from publishers certain levels of success that are different for them. For some it's distribution reach, others # of downloads and others it's revenue. We're trying to promote these various successes. If you take a look at some of the other success stories you'll see that they focus on # of downloads and/or # of countries. Also some applications are free so measuring the # of downloads and country reach is meaningful to the developer.

Powerpixels - we hear you and understand your interest in reading about developers that are being successful by the revenue they're generating and are working with publishers on these stories as well.

Best,
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]
    Sr. Services Marketing Manager, Forum Nokia
    Publishing to Ovi Store: [url]http://publish.ovi.com/[/url]
    twitter: [url]www.twitter.com/bperry[/url]
    blog: [url]www.mobileperry.com[/url]

Why do we waste our time discussing about only "certain levels of success" and not real success stories?

Our free application has about 350,000 downloads. Why do I feel Ovi experience like an "epic fail" and not as a success?

How can you hope to convince us that an application like Nimbuzz with more than 27,000,000 downloads on Getjar alone (http://www.getjar.com/mobile/6865/nimbuzz/) does consider a success (of any level) those 600,000 downloads on Ovi?

They say that a good marketing person will sell sand in the desert. Are we partners here? Do you want us to help you build a great store and you to help us sell our content? Or are you just trying to sell us some sand?

Best regards,
    Lau

I am also interested in seeing some statistics on paid downloads. Additionally I would like to see what percentage of users bought through operator billings and what percentage of users bought directly.

I came across some toturials by Nokia business development folks on the internet. The revenue sharing chart shows that for a app cost 5 Euros, if it was sold through operator billing, then the developer will net about 1.8 Euros, which is about 35% of gross sales. This is very discouraging compared to publishing on AppStore or Android Market.

And the cost of publishing on Ovi Store is significantly higher than on AppStore and Android Market, starting with 200 Euros registration fee plus 20 Euros per app per update for Symbian sign-off.

I hope Nokia will address these issues too, otherwise it will not have the broad support of developer community.