Discussion Board

Signed key signatures

Hi
    I am developing MIDlet application and i am going to deploy on device through IIS. Is there is anything needed to get signed key signatures like blackberry api's.

Or any other prodecure is there to deploy the application.

Thanks
    Mindus

Super Contributor

Re: Signed key signatures

You do not need to sign MIDP applications. If the application works on your phone now, it will work when you deploy it over-the-air (OTA). Be sure to test that everything works correctly.

Graham.

No need of any key....

You can directly install using PCsuite or Bluetooth push or from the memory.

Regards
    Vineeth

Hi Graham
    Thanks for your reply, I am new to j2me application. This is the first time i am going to deploy my application on device. I am trying with OTA way to deploy on Nokia 6212 device. i had developed some application on blackberry device. There some of the apis which need to signed to make application work on device. So like that anything we need to do for make application works on nokia mobile?

Can u please tell me what is Signing with VeriSign, Thawte, or JavaVerified?? what is the purpose of all these things

Thanks
    mindus

Super Contributor

Have you tried deploying your application by bluetooth or cable? If so, and it works, then all is well.

For MIDP Java, signing is very complicated. In general, signing is not needed. Because it is so complicated, it is best avoided.

There are three categories of MIDlet.

1. Untrusted. This is a normal, unsigned MIDlet. Access to user data on the device (like the address book), or anything that will cost money (like sending an SMS or connecting to the network) will result in a message to the user, requiring confirmation. So, if your application tries to send an SMS, the user will see something like "this application want to send an SMS to phone-number, allow? (yes/no)". If the user says no, then the attempt to send the SMS will fail (it will throw a SecurityException).

2. Trusted Third-Party. This is an application signed with a certificate trusted by the device. Which certificates are "trusted" depends on the device, and can also depend on the device variant (such as, if it is an operator-branded version). Usually, it includes Verisign, Thawte and Java Verified. This level of trust may change which security prompts are displayed to the user, and might also enable the user to disable the prompts. It will not disable prompts automatically. Different devices will allow different options. A Verisign or Thawte certificate will cost you around $300 for two years. Java Verified requires that your application pass a series of tests, which cost around $150 - and you pay even if you fail the test.

3. Signed to the Manufacturer or Operator Domain. These MIDlets are signed by the manufacturer of the device, or the network operator that supplied the SIM card. These applications are given the highest access. There might be no security prompts, and some extra APIs might be enabled. In most cases, this is available only to applications pre-installed by the manufacturer. It is not usually an option for most developers.

If an application is signed, and the device does not recognize the signature, then the device will refuse to install the application. For example, devices supplied by T-Mobile US do not recognize Verisign, Thawte or Java Verified signatures.

You can find more about signing in the wiki. If you want to sign your application, read everything you can find first, to make sure it will achieve what you want. If you are not careful, you will spend money and achieve nothing.

Graham.

Hi
    Thanks for your kind information
    Presently i cant deploy application on device using bluetooth or usb cable. In my application i am using javax.microedition.io.Connector.file.write, javax.microedition.io.Connector.file.read these classes.

In my jad also contains

MIDlet-Permissions: javax.microedition.io.Connector.file.write, javax.microedition.io.Connector.file.read

So i need to signed the application.

Thanks
    minuds

Super Contributor

This does not mean you need to sign your application. Most phones allow access to the FileConnection API without signing. You should remove the MIDlet-Permissions attribute until you have signed the application.

Why can you not install the application onto the device? This is a major problem, and I recommend you resolve it as soon as possible. You will need to test your application on the actual device, and you are likely to find that it does not work the same on the device as it does on the emulator. Fixing on-device problems will become expensive and time-consuming if you have to OTA install every time you change the code.

Again, I reiterate: don't spend money on signing unless you are sure it will give you what you want. Signing will not, for example, give you unrestricted file system access, and it will not make all the security pop-ups go away. Signing will cost you money, there is no free option.

Graham.

Cannot describe it better. Although, using JSR-75 makes not much sense without signing.