Discussion Board

mobile information system

Hi every one

I have been given a task to investigate and come up with an integrated all-in-one mobile student information system where students can be informed of class changes by text, and inform their lecturer that they will be absent.

Question 1
    what would be the necessary hardware and software technologies necessary to implement this?
    Question 2
    How would an architecture of this sytem be or look like??
    Question 3
    what security, legal, ethical, physical restrictions should i consider??

Any attempt to answer this questions would be very much appreciated and welcomed.

Regards
    Shosoloza

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: mobile information system

first you should define what All-in-one means, what are the actual use cases it is supposed to be doing, basically before you even know that, you should not be worrying about any real implementation issues.

Thanks for your reply!
    Basically all in one means the following: students should be informed of:

class changes by text
    inform lecturers that they will be absent
    Would be informed of upcoming seminars
    Also display a map of where they are on campus
    Provide them with information about rooms and buildings as they pass!so some kind of GPS

for all the above issues!, what software should I be thinking of? what hardware? what technologies etc?
    what would the architecture of the potential solution be?

Regards
    Shosoloza

As there are no push style messaging APIs available yet, you should consider having it to be pull, or use SMS messages to inform any changes. Otherwise that appears rather simple, basically you should have a web server, where you have database, and then have a client accessing the service and showing/updating data.

For map as it is a campus you could use your own, and maybe just map the corner latitude/longitude, and then assume that all values are linear (should work ok on that small scale).

Only HW requirements you appears to have in display, input, GPS and network connection.

Basically I suppose if you do that with 5th ed devices, then simplest tech nology would be WRT Widgets or even Flash, for Java MIDP I'm not certain, but I assume they would have required stuff. And Symbian C++ would of course allow you doing all of these stuff, and then you could use older devices as well.

For Architecture you would need to decide your self. Basically I would go for thin client and fatter server solution, though up to you how you want to make it, anyway, I would recommend you to pick up the targer device(s) first, then research the available technologies, and then see how it would be best way done.

Thank you very much!!!

I assume that I would have a centralised data store! , this would be a database I believe.
    What would be issues with implementing it (this mobile information system) in practice?
    Would I have any security issues?
    Would I have any legal issues?
    Would I have any ethical issues?
    Any physical restrictions such as bandwidth? And how would I overcome them?
    Could you also advice me on wider range of technologies that I can use, perhaps critically evaluate different technologies their advantages and disadvantages, I think most importantly if you could advice me on possible wider technologies then i would have to investigate myself.

Regards and thank for all your help

Shosoloza

Basically your school studies, you should really do your own research, and it should be based mainly on your own work, the whole purpose of school projects is learning, so I would suggest you to do some research on the topics by yourself, and then ask questions on the technical problems you are facing in here. I basically gave you the parts we are concentrating in here, since this is developer discussion forum, we are concentrating on development related issues in here, and mainly from technical implementation point of view.