Discussion Board

Thread: warez issues

warez issues

Hey,

this message goes to ovi representetive but the community can make comments as well as long as we stick to topic.

a couple of days ago i saw in the device chart in my report section "unresolved" now we all know what that means...
    yep a user has stolen your hard worked on app/game and is spreading it on warez/cracks sites all over (the next day i found it on a couple of file shares sites and mobile warez websites).
    i know ovi let users download apps/games even via webbrowser for paid users that have bought the app/game and want to "back it up" right... well i dont want for my app to be downloaded if the devices is "unknown" "unresolved" i dont care what you say i know for what purpose it ends up, if ever a user that actually bought my app/game reset his phone or need reinstall ill be gladly give him that to his own phone but not his HD.
    my apps/games are j2me based and we know that ovi offers 0 protection for anti-piracy in that matter (at least for symbian there is drm-0 which from what i understands is almost worthless) its not all ovi's fault obviously for j2me its almost imposible to make it piracy-free unless u have access to read IMEI/phone number and have generated the build according to it or somthing similar. but ovi doesnt support license key retrival on download or have their own license key generator.
    ok so at least lets not make those crackers an easy life and let them download our apps/games via browser.

my points are this... (ye i dont just complain i wanna raise potential answers as well)
    A. go after those piracy/mobile warez sites i can give you a mile long list of them (i wont post it here) most of the publishers are too small to do anything such as a lawsuite vs one of those sites that openly publish our apps on their forum. but nokia is BIG and has big legal department as well and i think you can actually collaborate with other vendors in this matter (like you have with symbian create a partnership with SE,Motoroa,LG, Samsung etc) at least 2 of those vendors have their own app stores and would like to be a part of it. those piracy sites hurts you as much as they hurt us.
    since nokia's and those other vendors phones are "open" i.e. dont have to hack the phone to install software from any other sources (like iphone) the end user has a much simpler life piracy programs and the temptation itself is ALOT bigger
    cause when he "hacks" his iphone at least he loses his warrenty here the end user install his app allmost the same way he would if he had bought it.

B. ovi should start looking into blocking download of apps from web browser (any handset that isnt identified by nokia) i know that http headers can be fake and hackers can fool the system but at least it wont be so easy.
    also let the publishers some kind of a uniqe way to identified legal downloads (a good way for instance to secure j2me apps would be for ovi to insert a jad property for the jad prior to download "on the fly" with a uniqe value and save it to a database or sending it to the publisher this value can then be checked via some kind of web api of ovi or the publisher and verify that this version is legal and once this uniqe number is verified a parameter is generated and saved localy on the phone RMS and the uniqe value will result in a "false" response from the web api from now on, such a thing will prevernt simple spread of apps by just copying them since only the first original downloader could use the app)
    since this is just a simple uniqe number and not phone number or imei ovi doesnt share any secret knowledge about the users to the publishers.

long post but its extreamly important...

Super Contributor

Re: warez issues

A. go after those piracy/mobile warez sites i can give you a mile long list of them (i wont post it here) most of the publishers are too small to do anything such as a lawsuite vs one of those sites that openly publish our apps on their forum. but nokia is BIG and has big legal department as well and i think you can actually collaborate with other vendors in this matter (like you have with symbian create a partnership with SE,Motoroa,LG, Samsung etc) at least 2 of those vendors have their own app stores and would like to be a part of it. those piracy sites hurts you as much as they hurt us.
    since nokia's and those other vendors phones are "open" i.e. dont have to hack the phone to install software from any other sources (like iphone) the end user has a much simpler life piracy programs and the temptation itself is ALOT bigger
    cause when he "hacks" his iphone at least he loses his warrenty here the end user install his app allmost the same way he would if he had bought it.
    Because Nokia indirectly benefits from piracy / phone theft. I always have to recite a famous Austrian carrier CEO who was out drinking with me and my wife one day. After a few bottles, he said: So what if a customers handset is stolen. As lo9ng as the xxxxhas paid his monthly fees, he is my best friend.

Regarding unknown: one of my apps recently got the same treatment - and it hasn't appeared yet...
    Last edited by Nokia Ron; 2010-02-09 at 03:46. Reason: profanity
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Because Nokia indirectly benefits from piracy / phone theft. I always have to recite a famous Austrian carrier CEO who was out drinking with me and my wife one day. After a few bottles, he said: So what if a customers handset is stolen. As lo9ng as the xxxx has paid his monthly fees, he is my best friend.

Regarding unknown: one of my apps recently got the same treatment - and it hasn't appeared yet...
    Please do not use offensive language in here, also you might want to not tell stories that you can not prove, if somebody feels that you are spreading false rumors of them, you might have hard time on proving your case.

Nokia is highly against any illegal activity, that also includes piracy or stealing, so I would appreciate you to keep your personal opinions to your own, and also not tell false stories on the service provider here.
    Last edited by Nokia Ron; 2010-02-09 at 03:45.

tamhanna: nokia/ovi does not benefit from piracy apps what so ever... if anything they are losing on it thats why it would be in their best intrest.

still wanting to hear a word from ovi guys about this...

Ovi team has been already informed about the in-security of Ovi Platform time ago:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=168939
    but nothing has changed yet.

Unfortunately, it seems like Nokia doesn't care too much about warez issues.
    It is really frustating for a developer which spent time/money, to see its own work published for free on warez sites because Ovi doesn't prevent the software to from being illegally forwarded to other users.

Marco.
    Last edited by ilsocio; 2010-02-09 at 12:24.
    http://www.guardian-mobile.com/

Super Contributor

OK. As for the carrier guy, I am willing to name him if it ever gets dirty.

Regarding Nokia benefitting indirectly from theft: what does a theft victim do? Buy another phone. => higher sales

R. N. b. i. f. piracy: pirate user which pirates apps=happy user.

Folks: the key is INDIRECTLY. I am aware that Nokia will never say go thiefs go - but implementing effective IMEI locks, etc has also not happened so far.

/me wonders why
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

tamhanna: you are way off-topic here
    you are talking about stolen handsets which has nothing to do with apps
    the issue is on warez apps (p.s the user wont have to rebuy those apps cause its based on his user and can re-download them)

Super Contributor

Hi,
    I was referring to the full phones.

Sorry to go ot, but it is a painful topic for me as an Austrian...
    My other blogs:

Super Contributor

Please can all these people stop talking about things which cause fear uncertainty and doubt. This is an international conference and some things discussed here would be illegal under some countries laws.

My issue is with the title which implies illegal activity.

This situation is already investigation very high up in Nokia we should not try to pre-judge the outcome.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Good idea this thread is closed