Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Installation of QtMobility on WinCE

Hi friends,
    I am trying to install QtMobility for WinCE platform, it is not getting installed properly... Can anybody tell me the steps so that I can configure it properly & run the examples codes given in the Qt-Mobility package.
    I am successfully did QtMobility installation for Symbian platform.
    I will wait for your reply.
    Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Ash_21.
    Life is Short..... Live it with Positive Attitude...

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Installation of QtMobility on WinCE

This is a discussion which has spilled over from the mobility feedback mailing list. I only mention that so people don't think I'm guessing way to far ahead of the problem, which in this particular case is that Mobility has been configured and built for Windows XP and is then being used for a WinCE project.

The core points of what follows have already appeared on the mailing list but I'm adding an exruciating amount of detail to try to cover all bases and so that it might help out other people, including those that might be new to developing Qt for WinCE in general.

Building Qt Mobility for WinCE

1) Make sure that Qt 4.6 for WinCE has been installed and is working
    - for the sake of example we'll say that it is installed in C:\Qt\4.6\WinCE
    2) Download the Qt Mobility package and unpack it somewhere
    3) Open the Visual Studio command prompt OR Open a command prompt and set the compiler to use
    - Use
    Code:
    setcompiler /?
    to see the options
    - For example, use
    Code:
    setcompiler 2008
    to use the compiler from Visual Studio 2008
    4) Go to the directory where Qt Mobility was unpacked
    5) Make sure that Qt for WinCE is in your path
    - you can check this by typing
    Code:
    echo %PATH%
    at the command line
    - C:\Qt\4.6\WinCE\bin should be in the path, and should occur before any other Qt bin directories
    - you can also use
    Code:
    qmake -v
    to be sure that the right qmake is being used
    - if it isn't in your path, add it in
    - for our example path, use
    Code:
    set PATH=C:\Qt\4.6\WinCE\bin;%PATH%

Option A - Compiling from the command line

6) Setup the paths needed to compile and link WinCE code
    - Once Qt for WinCE is in your path, use
    Code:
    setcepaths
    to get a list of SDKs that setcepaths can setup
    - Run
    Code:
    setcepaths (sdk argument here)
    to set up the paths
    - For example, to setup for Windows Mobile 6.0 with Visual Studio Professional 2008, use
    Code:
    setcepaths wincewm60professional-msvc2008

Note: As far as I'm aware steps 1 to 6 will be required to build pretty much anything using Qt for WinCE from the command line.

7) Configure mobility
    - Use
    Code:
    configure -help
    to get a list of options
    - It's probably a good idea to match the release and debug options to the options that were used with your Qt install, although the defaults should be OK for most people
    - If you're happy with installing Qt Mobility to C:\QtMobility, just use
    Code:
    configure
    - If you'd like Qt Mobility to be installed elsewhere, use
    Code:
    configure -prefix (install directory goes here)
    8) Run
    Code:
    nmake
    9) Run
    Code:
    nmake install

Option B - Compiling from Visual Studio

6) Configure mobility
    - Almost the same as in step 6 from "Compiling from the command line"
    - Add the option -vc so that a Visual studio solution file is generated

7) Open the generated solution file in Visual Studio, right click on the solution and choose "Build Solution"

Cheers,

Dave

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by dalaing View Post
    This is a discussion which has spilled over from the mobility feedback mailing list. I only mention that so people don't think I'm guessing way to far ahead of the problem, which in this particular case is that Mobility has been configured and built for Windows XP and is then being used for a WinCE project.

The core points of what follows have already appeared on the mailing list but I'm adding an exruciating amount of detail to try to cover all bases and so that it might help out other people, including those that might be new to developing Qt for WinCE in general.

Building Qt Mobility for WinCE

1) Make sure that Qt 4.6 for WinCE has been installed and is working
    - for the sake of example we'll say that it is installed in C:\Qt\4.6\WinCE
    2) Download the Qt Mobility package and unpack it somewhere
    3) Open the Visual Studio command prompt OR Open a command prompt and set the compiler to use
    - Use
    Code:
    setcompiler /?
    to see the options
    - For example, use
    Code:
    setcompiler 2008
    to use the compiler from Visual Studio 2008
    4) Go to the directory where Qt Mobility was unpacked
    5) Make sure that Qt for WinCE is in your path
    - you can check this by typing
    Code:
    echo %PATH%
    at the command line
    - C:\Qt\4.6\WinCE\bin should be in the path, and should occur before any other Qt bin directories
    - you can also use
    Code:
    qmake -v
    to be sure that the right qmake is being used
    - if it isn't in your path, add it in
    - for our example path, use
    Code:
    set PATH=C:\Qt\4.6\WinCE\bin;%PATH%

Option A - Compiling from the command line

6) Setup the paths needed to compile and link WinCE code
    - Once Qt for WinCE is in your path, use
    Code:
    setcepaths
    to get a list of SDKs that setcepaths can setup
    - Run
    Code:
    setcepaths (sdk argument here)
    to set up the paths
    - For example, to setup for Windows Mobile 6.0 with Visual Studio Professional 2008, use
    Code:
    setcepaths wincewm60professional-msvc2008

Note: As far as I'm aware steps 1 to 6 will be required to build pretty much anything using Qt for WinCE from the command line.

7) Configure mobility
    - Use
    Code:
    configure -help
    to get a list of options
    - It's probably a good idea to match the release and debug options to the options that were used with your Qt install, although the defaults should be OK for most people
    - If you're happy with installing Qt Mobility to C:\QtMobility, just use
    Code:
    configure
    - If you'd like Qt Mobility to be installed elsewhere, use
    Code:
    configure -prefix (install directory goes here)
    8) Run
    Code:
    nmake
    9) Run
    Code:
    nmake install

Option B - Compiling from Visual Studio

6) Configure mobility
    - Almost the same as in step 6 from "Compiling from the command line"
    - Add the option -vc so that a Visual studio solution file is generated

7) Open the generated solution file in Visual Studio, right click on the solution and choose "Build Solution"

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,
    I followed all the steps you have mentioned here. I have added -vc option while making configuration. With that it created the solution files for all examples given in the Qt-Mobility package.
    When I build the logfilepositionresource example from Qt-Mobility I got following errors.
    error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class QString __cdecl QString::arg(class QString const &,class QString const &,class QString const &)const " (__imp_?arg@QString@@QBA?AV1@ABV1@00@Z) referenced in function "public: class QString __cdecl QtMobility::QGeoCoordinate::toString(enum QtMobility::QGeoCoordinate::CoordinateFormat)const " (?toString@QGeoCoordinate@QtMobility@@QBA?AVQString@@W4CoordinateFormat@12@@Z) QtLocation_tp.lib

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class QString __cdecl QString::arg(class QString const &,class QString const &)const " (__imp_?arg@QString@@QBA?AV1@ABV1@0@Z) referenced in function "public: class QString __cdecl QtMobility::QGeoCoordinate::toString(enum QtMobility::QGeoCoordinate::CoordinateFormat)const " (?toString@QGeoCoordinate@QtMobility@@QBA?AVQString@@W4CoordinateFormat@12@@Z) QtLocation_tp.lib

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class QString & __cdecl QString::append(char const *)" (__imp_?append@QString@@QAAAAV1@PBD@Z) referenced in function "public: class QString __cdecl QtMobility::QGeoCoordinate::toString(enum QtMobility::QGeoCoordinate::CoordinateFormat)const " (?toString@QGeoCoordinate@QtMobility@@QBA?AVQString@@W4CoordinateFormat@12@@Z) QtLocation_tp.lib

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol GPSCloseDevice referenced in function "protected: virtual void __cdecl QtMobility::QGeoInfoThreadWinCE::run(void)" (?run@QGeoInfoThreadWinCE@QtMobility@@MAAXXZ) QtLocation_tp.lib
    error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol GPSGetDeviceState referenced in function "protected: virtual void __cdecl QtMobility::QGeoInfoThreadWinCE::run(void)" (?run@QGeoInfoThreadWinCE@QtMobility@@MAAXXZ) QtLocation_tp.lib

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol GPSGetPosition referenced in function "protected: virtual void __cdecl QtMobility::QGeoInfoThreadWinCE::run(void)" (?run@QGeoInfoThreadWinCE@QtMobility@@MAAXXZ) QtLocation_tp.lib
    error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol GPSOpenDevice referenced in function "protected: virtual void __cdecl QtMobility::QGeoInfoThreadWinCE::run(void)" (?run@QGeoInfoThreadWinCE@QtMobility@@MAAXXZ) QtLocation_tp.lib

fatal error LNK1120: 7 unresolved externals ..\..\bin\examples\logfilepositionsource.exe
    QtLocation_tp.lib is getting created
    C:\Qt\4.6.1\QtMobility\lib
    in this folder.

I have set Qt for WinCE on c:\Qt\4.6.1 folder.
    I have set QtMobility inside this above folder.

Even if QtLocation_tp.lib is creating properly then why this Linker errors are coming?
    Is there any setting we need to do in Visual studio, the way we do for Qt for WinCE?

Is there any additional dependencies we need to add in project properties?

I know I am near to target but need little more help to remove these linker errors.
    Please tell me how to remove this issue so that I can enjoy the Qt-Mobility on WinCE.

Regards,
    ash_21.

Nokia Developer Expert

If you want to build the examples you need to add -examples to the configure options.

I tried all combinations of my instructions before posting and didn't have any issues, and I don't think I have anything all that special in my Visual Studio setup.

If passing the -examples option to configure doesn't work, perhaps try compiling from the command line in order to work out if it's a Visual Studio setup matter or something else entirely.

Cheers,

Dave

Regular Contributor

If you want to build the examples you need to add -examples to the configure options.

I tried all combinations of my instructions before posting and didn't have any issues, and I don't think I have anything all that special in my Visual Studio setup.

If passing the -examples option to configure doesn't work, perhaps try compiling from the command line in order to work out if it's a Visual Studio setup matter or something else entirely.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,
    I once again do the configuration but while checking docs I found
    Code:
    Windows Mobile backend only tested with Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard and Professional Edition with MSVC 2008.
    Does this affecting as I am configuring with visual studio 2005?

ash_21.

Nokia Developer Expert

I don't think that's likely to be much of an issue.

Cheers

Dave

Regular Contributor

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,
    When I do nmake command, I found that QtServiceFramework_tp.lib & other lib files create LNK2019 error & same problem is coming when I compile any sample application provided in example folder.
    Can you please tell me why these lib files are not getting created during nmake command?
    I don't think this is any conflict issue.
    Kindly please tell me so that I can resolve this issue.

Note: 1) Now I have followed all the steps given by you in this post.
    2) I am using qt-mobility-src-1.0.0-tp2.zip data for Qt-Mobility. Is this correct?

Regards,
    Ashfaque.

Regular Contributor

Cheers

Dave
    Hi Dave,
    I have followed the steps you have given in this post & configured Qt for WinCE.
    While nmake command I got some Linker errors & nmake command stops automatically.
    I am successfully run only two applcations from Qt-Mobility & those are AudioRecorder & streamPlayer.
    For other all examples I got linker errors which I saw during nmake command.
    I am using qt-mobility-src-1.0.0-tp2.zip package for Qt-Mobility. Kindly please tell me whether this package is correct or not?
    Also please verify that why these linker errors are coming during nmake command.
    I did not see any Linker errors while Qt for WinCE configuration.

I hope now you understand the problem I am facing..

Waiting for your reply.

Regards,
    ash_21.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

We've covered this before on the mailing list, but I can't help you unless you let me know what the errors are - without them I know you have some kind of linking problem, with them I will know what is linking.

As a piece of general advice, if you're telling someone that something generates errors you generally need to tell them what the errors are as well. The same goes for telling someone that something doesn't work without providing more information - the more you can tell them about how you came to that conclusion, the better.

Hopefully this advice will help you in other contexts as well.

I tested the steps I gave with the same mobility source package that you are using, so that's unlikely to be the issue.

Dave

Regular Contributor

Hi,

We've covered this before on the mailing list, but I can't help you unless you let me know what the errors are - without them I know you have some kind of linking problem, with them I will know what is linking.

As a piece of general advice, if you're telling someone that something generates errors you generally need to tell them what the errors are as well. The same goes for telling someone that something doesn't work without providing more information - the more you can tell them about how you came to that conclusion, the better.

Hopefully this advice will help you in other contexts as well.

I tested the steps I gave with the same mobility source package that you are using, so that's unlikely to be the issue.

Dave
    Hi Dave,
    As per your advice I will send you the errors which I am getting during nmake command at visual studio command prompt.

Regards,
    ash_21.

Regular Contributor

Hi Dave,
    As per your suggestion PFA for the error logs which I got during configuring & nmake commands.
    Kindly give me valuable help so that I can run the Qt-Mobility examples & start my main project work.

Waiting for your valuable help.

Regards,
    ash_21.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nokia Developer Expert

It looks like you're running configure from a visual studio command prompt.

Could you please open a visual studio command prompt and type
    qmake -v
    and let me know what the output is.

Also, the output should mention a directory - could you run
    dir *.dll
    in that directory and let me know what the output is.

Hopefully that will be useful information.

Dave

Regular Contributor

It looks like you're running configure from a visual studio command prompt.

Could you please open a visual studio command prompt and type
    qmake -v
    and let me know what the output is.

Also, the output should mention a directory - could you run
    dir *.dll
    in that directory and let me know what the output is.

Hopefully that will be useful information.

Dave

Hi Dave,
    Yes I am using Visual studio command prompt. As you mentioned when I run qmake -v command. I got the following output.
    Code:
    C:\>qmake -v
    QMake version 2.01a
    Using Qt version 4.6.0 in C:\Qt\4.6.1\WinCE\qt\lib
    Note : 4.6.1 is just a folder name. Main Qt version is 4.6.0

PFA for command dir*.dll

I hope now you will understand where I am making mistake in configuration.

I will wait for your positive response.

Regards,
    ash_21.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nokia Developer Expert

Just to be clear - you did the equivalent of
    Code:
    dir C:\Qt\4.6.1\WinCE\qt\lib\*.dll
    If that's the case then I think the problem is that the Qt in C:\Qt\4.6.1\WinCE\qt isn't properly installed.

When you have Qt properly installed there should be quite a few libraries in that directory, with names like QtCore.dll (possibly QtCored.dll or QtCore_tpd.dll, something like that).

Immediately before there error is
    Code:
    link /LIBPATH:"c:\Qt\4.6.1\WinCE\qt\lib"
    which indicates where the linker is looking for the Qt libraries (and not finding them).

Qt is clearly partly installed there, since the compiler is using
    Code:
    -I"c:\Qt\4.6.1\WinCE\qt\include\QtCore"
    and finding what it needs.

That's very definitely not a mobility issue. When your Qt is setup properly, Mobility should link and everything should be fine. I can't help you with this, and even if I could the Mobility forum is not the place for it - perhaps here would be a better place for it.

Until you have Qt setup properly I can't do anything for you.

Cheers,

Dave

Regular Contributor

Just to be clear - you did the equivalent of
    Code:
    dir C:\Qt\4.6.1\WinCE\qt\lib\*.dll
    If that's the case then I think the problem is that the Qt in C:\Qt\4.6.1\WinCE\qt isn't properly installed.

When you have Qt properly installed there should be quite a few libraries in that directory, with names like QtCore.dll (possibly QtCored.dll or QtCore_tpd.dll, something like that).

Immediately before there error is
    Code:
    link /LIBPATH:"c:\Qt\4.6.1\WinCE\qt\lib"
    which indicates where the linker is looking for the Qt libraries (and not finding them).

Qt is clearly partly installed there, since the compiler is using
    Code:
    and finding what it needs.

That's very definitely not a mobility issue. When your Qt is setup properly, Mobility should link and everything should be fine. I can't help you with this, and even if I could the Mobility forum is not the place for it - perhaps here would be a better place for it.

Until you have Qt setup properly I can't do anything for you.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,
    Sorry for the mistake which I had made. When I run *.dll command I got following files.
    Code:
    C:\>dir C:\Qt\4.6.1\WinCE\qt\lib\*.dll
     Volume in drive C has no label.
     Volume Serial Number is 94B4-1A81

Directory of C:\Qt\4.6.1\WinCE\qt\lib

11/26/2009  02:43 PM           306,176 phonon4.dll
    11/26/2009  02:43 PM         6,520,774 phonond4.dll
                   2 File(s)      6,826,950 bytes
                   0 Dir(s)  30,072,098,816 bytes free

When I searched that C:\Qt\4.6.1\WinCE\qt\lib folder I got .a extension files such as libQtCore4.a,libQtSvg4.a, etc & some files with extension *.prl files.

"Qt is clearly partly installed there, since the compiler is using
    "
    Can you elaborate more on this so that I can check it properly for the installation of Qt?

I have checked different examples of Qt on WinCE emulator & none of the application has given me any error. Every application worked fine on Emulator.

Is my main Qt is not installed properly?
    Is this affecting to create another dll's in the above folder?

Kindly let me know so that I can re-do the installation of Qt & then Qt-Mobilty with installation details.

Regards,
    ash_21.
    Last edited by ash_21; 2010-02-11 at 11:16.