Discussion Board

None of the examples will work

I am coming from the embedded world and would really like to learn Qt. However, I downloaded the latest on my Windows machine and NONE of the examples will even compile, not one.

This is very frustrating, makes me not want to have anything to do with Qt, i mean, at least the examples should compile right?

Anyway, I think it may have to do with the Symbian stuff (which I unchecked in the install) i tried to download the latest 2010.01 to no avail.

c:/qt/2009.05/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/../../../libmingw32.a(main.o):main.c::-1: error: undefined reference to `WinMain@16'

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: None of the examples will work

Well, if none of the examples did compile for you there's a high chance that something is wrong with your setup You said that you installed 2010.01, however the path you posted starts with "C:\qt\2009.05" ... is your PATH maybe `polluted`with other versions of Qt / MinGW, or do you have maybe Cygwin stuff in your path? I suggest you try again with a clean path (you can clean the path e.g. also from within QtCreator).

Nokia Developer Champion

From the output you posted, you use Qt for Windows on a Windows machine and not Qt for Symbian on a Windows machine. Which one do you want to use? Qt SDK is for Windows on Windows and should run out of the box.

The error you got is a linker error and it looks like the library qtwinmain or so is missing. This one is only included in Qt/Win to map from WinMain to int main(int argc, char argv) that is usually used on unix as program entry point.

Nokia Developer Champion

You have my sympathy. It's nigh to impossible to figure out which of the 3000 different combinations of SDKs and ADTs and XYZs you need to to create a valid Qt/Symbian build environment. The best advice is generally here -- http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...Qt_Quick_Start -- though even then you need to follow all of the subsidiary links and check things over VERY carefully on each step. (And as soon as you get it all loaded something will change and you'll be informed within 3-4 days that your config is woefully out of date.)