Discussion Board

Moving SMS messages from old to new phone

I have recently swapped my 6210 for the newer 6310i and would like to move my saved SMS messages from one to the other. Is this possible, or should I just resign myself to the fact that these messages are lost?

Well, I have switched between phones many times and my SMS messages are stored on the SIM card. So I don't see you having a problem.

Only the handful in my "Inbox" were moved to my new phone. The ones I had saved off in "My Folders" were not copied. If I want to access them, I have to put my SIM card back in the old phone. With the SIM card in my old phone, I have even tried moving them all back to my "Inbox", thinking that would move them to my SIM...but that didn't work either.

My thought was that when messages were moved from "Inbox" to "My Folders", they went from SIM to phone memory. I can't figure out a way to get them back to the SIM for easy transfer to my new phone....apart from getting hold of another SIM card and while both phones are "active", send them from one to the other. Must be an easier way than that?

You must indeed have a lot of messages saved. The capacity of the SIM is around 20 messages, depending on the phone & SIM. The "extra" messages probably are stored in the old phone's memory.

One solution that I can think of is to send your extra messages to one of your email addresses, and then forward it back when the SIM is in the new phone. (Or find a friend to receive your messages and send them back to you)