Discussion Board

Application that never closes

Hello, I have the following problem: I need to write an S60 application keeps running in the background even if the user "closes" it. The user should not be able to actually close the application in any way. The application should also automatically start itself at the system startup.

Is it possible to write this application using either Java or C++?

Thank you!

Super Contributor

Re: Application that never closes

Quote Originally Posted by arcibaldwearlot View Post
    The user should not be able to actually close the application in any way.
    This is not possible with a Java ME application. It might be possible with C++, you'd need to ask in the Symbian C++ discussion board.

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    This is not possible with a Java ME application. It might be possible with C++, you'd need to ask in the Symbian C++ discussion board.

Graham.
    Thanks for your answer! I am not familiar with mobile development and the Symbian OS, so I ask you to be more accurate:

Do you mean that is not possible, using Java ME, to create a window that stays open when the user tries to close it, as for example a JFrame with setDefaultCloseOperation(DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE) on Java SE and Swing?

Or, do you mean that the user is able forcefully close any application anyway, using some feature of the Symbian Operating System such as a Task Manager?

Super Contributor

Do you mean that is not possible, using Java ME, to create a window that stays open when the user tries to close it, as for example a JFrame with setDefaultCloseOperation(DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE) on Java SE and Swing?
    There is no equivalent UI component, in terms of being a container with a "close" button. A MIDP application always displays one component, an instance of Displayable. It never displays more than one, nor fewer than one. It may be in the foreground or the background (on Series 60 - some other platforms are not multi-tasking, so have no concept of "background"). You cannot prevent your application from being sent to the background.

Or, do you mean that the user is able forcefully close any application anyway, using some feature of the Symbian Operating System such as a Task Manager?
    The user is able to close (forcibly terminate) any MIDP application. On Series 60 devices, this is always possible via the task manager.

On most devices, closing (forcibly terminating) the application can also be achieved by pressing END (the red button). Series 60 devices have some variation to this behaviour. Older S60 devices push apps to the background when END is pressed. New devices have the default behaviour of terminating the app, but this can be reverted to the old behaviour with an application option.

Also, "auto-start" for MIDP apps is not available on older devices. On newer devices, it is subject to security restrictions. For an "untrusted" (unsigned) app, the user must manually confirm start-up. Manual confirmation can be disabled only for suitably signed applications (this will cost you money). Even then, some devices restrict certain combinations. For example, you may be unable to disable the manual confirmation for auto-start and network connection at the same time.

I can give you more relevant detail if you describe the functionality of your app in more detail (like, what it does in while it's running), and exactly which device(s) you want to use.

However, as soon as you say "auto start and cannot be terminated", you are describing an application for which Java is not likely to be suitable.

Graham.