Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Low (polyphonic) Ringtone volume on 3650

I have a Nokia 3650, firmware version 2.54.

When i set my profile's Ringtone settings on any tone, polyphonic or not, and set the 'Ringing Options' to 'ringing' (note: not to 'ascending'), the first ring is very very soft when somebody calls me. The second ring is at the specified ringing volume.

When using the screen to select a new 'ringing tone', this problem does not happen. The preview is at the specified volume.

This problem is most noticeable when the ringing volume is set to the loudest setting.

Is there a way around this problem. It is very very annoying if you use a midi/wav melody that only will play once (due to its duration)...? I miss quite some calls this way...

Addendum: I just found this out. This problem only occurs when 'Vibrating Alert' is set to 'off'.

Thanks!
    Last edited by aspaans; 2003-04-15 at 04:32.

let's wait for new sw vs from Nokia

Regular Contributor
    Well,

it seems not be a bug, but a feature. I got this reply from Nokia:
    ============================================

Thank you for contacting Nokia Customer Care regarding the ringing volume of your Nokia 3650 phone.

We apologize for any previous misinformation regarding the issue you are experiencing.

When the Nokia 3650 phone is set to the level 5 ringing volume and you receive a call the ring tone will start out in the ascending mode and get progressively louder. This is for safety reasons. If you had the Nokia 3650 phone very close to your ear and it the phone rang at a very high volume ( level 5) it may cause some discomfort.

The ringing volume ascending is only present on the level 5 ringing volume. If you set the ringing volume to level 4 for example, it will ring at level 4 with the first ring.

The ring tone will also play at full volume when you preview it on your Nokia 3650 phone as you had mentioned in your previous e-mail to us.

There is not a way to turn this feature off on your Nokia 3650 phone.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thank you for choosing Nokia for your cellular needs.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Customer Care

Nokia Inc.
    ============================================

Definately not a feature. they are denying this when u call them. in fact, they say they know nothing about it. it's a definate bug, not consistent with what they say.

Regular Contributor
    Well,

I got this msg from an official NokiaUSA customer rep.
    - The first mail I got denied any knowledge about this problem.
    - I replied to them.
    - The second mail they suggested to have my phone serviced.
    - Then I pointed out a couple of newsgroups/forums about this issue in another reply.
    - And then they (or just Jeff) sent me the e-mail i posted earlier back.... so, what is the truth :-) ?

Maybe i should try again and see what they say next :-)

i would. as i know i've found that on earlier versions of the firmware, this is not a problem. so what i'm going to do is goto my ATTWS store after work today and see if i can find a phone with a different firmware version, until they finally decide to accept this bug and fix it for the masses. this is what we get for buying new great products as soon as they come out.

Hi!
    I have the latest firmware version i.e. 3.13 I am still facing this problem of low ringing volume. It seems to be definite bug. Some people have used wave files instead of midi files and got a louder volume. What do you say?

Regular Contributor
    I guess we have to wait for yet a higher firmware version ... :-) or :-(

On my phone, it does not matter whether you use MIDI files or WAV files for this bug to happen. Only the simple ringtones do not seem to have this problem (at least on my phone).

So, i just keep my Vibrate setting On.... use Ringtone Studio to make sure my MIDI file(-tracks) are loud enough... Then my phone is really loud. Louder than for example my land-line-phone.

What do you think about Ringtone studio? Do you think that it may help. I just downloaded it and though it edits everything else (speed, instrument etc.), it does not seem to increase the volume.