Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

General OS-related error

Hi, i'm developing an app using qtcreator with s60 sdk. when i build my app at another computer, i get "General OS-related error". But i can install app manually. Is there a known solution to this problem?

Re: General OS-related error

Hi t3chNo,

If I understand you correctly, the problem is that building the app is working on one computer, but not another?

If this is the case, a bit more information would be useful. I would start by checking what Symbian SDK and Qt versions are installed on the two respective computers and that they are compatible..

//Lennart

@lsvensson you understand correctly. i'm developing application at home and at work, by using different computers. I installed qt and symbian as described in the tutorial at Qt Labs ( here ).
    Qt for Symbian Version: S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0 ( Qt4.6.0 )
    Qt Creator Version: 1.3.0
    My Computer: Windows 7 32 bit
    Phone: 5800XM and at 30.0.011.C01.01 firmware version.

i forgot TRK.
    TRK Version: 3.1.2
    TRK API Version: 3.5

So does "General OS-related error" actually appear when you build your application or when you try to install the application on your device? Or is it possibly happening when you are trying to run on-device debugging?

Quote Originally Posted by t3chNo View Post
    Qt for Symbian Version: S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0 ( Qt4.6.0 )
    Qt Creator Version: 1.3.0
    I assume that you are using the same SDK/Qt version both at home and at work?

i use the same versions at home and work. Error comes after successfull building the application and before installing application to phone. i can't write the exact output of qtcreator for now, but i found error string on net and same with mine: "Could not install from package C:\Users\Mehmet\Documents\SuperBallGame\SuperBallGame_gcce_udeb.sisx on device: General OS-related error"

So the problem only occurs when you are trying to run the application on-device from the IDE, but not when you install the the application manually on the device, is that correct?

In that case the issue may be related to the creation of the SIS file.
    What steps did you use when you built and (succesfully) installed the application manually? Did you build it with Qt Creator? How did you sign it? Could it be that you are using different certificates at home and at work?

My second guess would be something related to the on-device debugging.
    Before you try to launch the application, can you see if the TRK application is connected when the device is connected to USB? (TRK Status: Connected in the TRK application)

Quote Originally Posted by lsvensson View Post
    So the problem only occurs when you are trying to run the application on-device from the IDE, but not when you install the the application manually on the device, is that correct?
    Yes, that's correct.

In that case the issue may be related to the creation of the SIS file.
    What steps did you use when you built and (succesfully) installed the application manually? Did you build it with Qt Creator? How did you sign it? Could it be that you are using different certificates at home and at work?
    I build application with Qt Creator. Certificate is selfsigned.key which comes with qt for symbian sdk ( path on my computer: C:\Qt\4.6.0-symbian\src\s60installs\selfsigned.key ). I don't know if certificates are same on both computers but i didn't do anything for certification. So, it has to be same.

My second guess would be something related to the on-device debugging.
    Before you try to launch the application, can you see if the TRK application is connected when the device is connected to USB? (TRK Status: Connected in the TRK application)
    Yes i see that TRK is connected to computer successfully via USB.

I think problem could be TRK. Because after deleting all qtcreator generated files ( only left .cpp, .h, .pro and .qrc files ), i still get this error. It has to be on the phone side. Maybe TRK caches computer information and when qt creator tries to install the application, computer informations doesn't met and i get this error.

Yes, sounds like it would be a TRK problem.

I must admit that I don't have much experience in on-device debugging with Qt creator. Is there a way that you can enable logging on the TRK communication protocol in Qt creator? If so, you could post the output here and we can try to figure out what is going wrong.

If not, maybe you can post the exact output from Qt creator when things go wrong?

Other than that, I understand that Qt creator doesn't have it's own debugging engine, but rather relies on an external debugging engine (such as gdb or MS Visual C++ Compiler Debugging Tools for Win) being installed on the machine. Maybe worth checking if there is any difference between your two computers in that regard?

Hi!

I also had "General OS error" when I tried to add ReadDeviceData capability to my application.

I generated certificate for my phone's IMEI here http://allnokia.ru/symb_cert/. In "Run configuration" in QT Creator I specified resulting .cer and .key files and this error not appears anymore
    I'm just started with Symbian, so I'm not sure how this is called when you make some personal certificate : )))

By the way - how to make self-signed certificate with such capabilities /if possible/ ?
    Or may be there is some another (official service?) way to generate such personal certificate /not with allnokia.ru/ ?
    I used that service at allnokia.ru, cause I had no another idea how to make it : )

Hi PavelMeld,

Welcome to the Symbian community!

A self-signed certificate can only be used for signing apps with basic capabilities, which include LocalServices, NetworkServices, ReadUserData, UserEnvironment and WriteUserData. (see http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...gn_Certificate)

For ReadDeviceData you need a developer certificate and the official way to get it is from Symbian Signed (for more info, see http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...er_certificate)

I have never heard of the web-site you used, but I dare say that it is very unofficial..

//Lennart

Sorry for late answer, my qt creator output:

Creating C:\Users\mehmet\Documents\SuperBallGame\SuperBallGame_gcce_udeb.sisx ...
    Executable file: 39448 2010-02-23T20:46:35 C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\release\gcce\udeb\SuperBallGame.exe
    C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\tools\makesis.exe SuperBallGame_gcce_udeb.pkg
    C:\S60\devices\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\tools\signsis.exe SuperBallGame_gcce_udeb.sis SuperBallGame_gcce_udeb.sisx C:\Qt\4.6.0-symbian\src\s60installs\selfsigned.cer C:\Qt\4.6.0-symbian\src\s60installs\selfsigned.key
    Package: 37400 2010-02-23T20:46:36 C:\Users\mehmet\Documents\SuperBallGame\SuperBallGame_gcce_udeb.sisx
    Deploying application to 'Nokia 5800 XpressMusic USB (COM4)'...
    Copying install file...
    0% copied.
    5% copied.
    10% copied.
    100% copied.
    Installing application...
    Could not install from package C:\Data\SuperBallGame_gcce_udeb.sisx on device: General OS-related error
    Finished.

Ok, I did some research on this and it seems that "General OS-related error" is more often than not caused by platform security issues. As you are using self-signing in your case, however, I wouldn't have thought that it's related to capabilities...

The only suggestion that comes to my mind at the moment is to check that the date/time are correct on both the phone and the computer, as setting the time of the phone to before the certificate was created will cause the installation to fail. Thus, check that the computer is not "ahead in time" of the phone.

I'm having this issue as well trying to run my app on my E52 (supposedly 3rd FP2).

This happens when I use the QtMobility Location API (which is meant to be usable with self-signing on this platform??).

I'm just developing a small app for my own private use - do I really need to shell out $200 for a PublisherID?

The only suggestion that comes to my mind at the moment is to check that the date/time are correct on both the phone and the computer, as setting the time of the phone to before the certificate was created will cause the installation to fail. Thus, check that the computer is not "ahead in time" of the phone.
    This "ahead in time" thing partially solved my problem of "General OS-related error". Cool... Thanks lsvensson!

Now I get the same "General OS-related error" again, though I suppose it's due to a new problem since in between I installed the App TRK on my device. I put more information on another thread http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...SMS-in-Qt-quot .