Discussion Board

virtual d-pad on j2me

Hey,

1 of my games just failed on N97 because it shows the default virtual d-pad on the handset.
    why is that? the game require a direction-pad/joystick to operate so whats the point of me making the default native virtual d-pad to disappear and then draw another virtual d-pad instead??? it makes no sense it would even be slower than the native one... the virtual d-pad is there for a reason if you require it to be disappear for all j2me then whats the point of having it there in the first place?

Super Contributor

Re: virtual d-pad on j2me

Hi,
    There is something confusing here another person long time ago on a now defunct site wrote:-

On a Nokia 5800 you get virtual navigation keys from the device that enable you to do D-Pad input as soon as you start a Gameboy game with the emulator. For the joypad buttons A, B, Select and Enter you can go to the emulator settings and activate on-screen buttons, so that you can use the touchscreen to press these buttons. You can do the same for the D-Pad, but IMHO this makes only limited sense since the device gives you larger buttons for this anyway. Additionally you can use the Nokia's orientation sensor to control the D-Pad. IMO this makes sense only for a few games. So there should be enough input options also on a Nokia 5800.
    As you can see they had a similar problem but for the 5800 device. Some how this needs to be check to make sure the correct device is being tested!!!.

Read this sentence again
    Additionally you can use the Nokia's orientation sensor to control the D-Pad.. Has some one confused the N97 with 5800 setting?.
    Anybody got more ideas on this?.

Clearly this is correct or writing your own D-Pad could not use the orientation features in the game.

Jim

jimgilmour1: ??? i didnt understand what was your point...
    i know WHY im getting the virtual d-pad i set it there using the nokia jad option
    the game must be controller with some kind of d-pad virtual or real.
    i have read in the guidlines rules that java games must use fullscreen for touch screen and must not display the default nokia virtual d-pad.
    my question is WHY is that? i dont understand how would that differ from me writing my own virtual d-pad and display it surely it will only function lesser than the default native virtual d-pad.
    so what is the point? (i understand the point for games that doesnt require d-pad to function and are only based on touch events but if a game MUST use a d-pad to function why deny it the default good virtual d-pad?)

someone from nokia can answer?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello Shaii,

The basic idea is if an application or game is not able to function without the virtual d-pad, then it should not be distributed on Touch Screen devices. Games on touch devices must
    • Be touch enabled
    • Utilise the full screen and be fully playable without the device's generic virtual d-pad
    • Ensure that the virtual d-pad is switched off by default.

Hope this helps. If you have further inquiries, please contact PublishtoOvi.support@nokia.com.

Best regards,
    OviAndrew
    OVI Publisher Support
    Promote your Ovi Store App on the web now!
    http://promotions.ovi.com/toolkit
    Last edited by OviSherwin; 2010-02-26 at 00:00.

ok you got me confused how can you say that this does not to say that games do not allow d-pad functionallity BUT i cannot use the default virtual d-pad and i also dont need to design a d-pad of my own... what other option is there?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello Shaii,

My apologies. It appears that I was mistaken in this regard. In order for you to distribute games on touch devices, the virtual d-pad cannot be utilized at all. In fact, QA will reject all d-pads, whether generic or designed by publisher, for touch screen devices.

The main reason for this is because the entry criteria requires that the game utilizes the full screen. Since the system's virtual d-pad covers half of the screen, the user is unable to enjoy the full-screen experience of your application. The only solution is if the designed d-pad is translucent and user is still able to see the full screen game display. Even then, we would need to request for a waiver for your application, which is not guaranteed to be granted.

If you wish to distribute applications that require the d-pad to function fully, please select one of the OVI supported d-pad devices.

If you have further inquiries, please contact PublishtoOvi.Support@nokia.com.

OviAndrew
    OVI Publisher Support
    Promote your Ovi Store App on the web now!
    http://promotions.ovi.com/toolkit

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by OviAndrew View Post
    Hello Shaii,

If you wish to distribute applications that require the d-pad to function fully, please select one of the OVI supported d-pad devices.
    So just to clarify this means DO NOT use the N5800 or the N7800?.Probably leaves only Touch Device left is N97 at this has arrow keys.

Could you say how the model selection is configured on Ovi store. Does the publisher set N5800, 7800 and not usable. How does S60 5th Edition devices box get selected presumably this is not usable as well.
    Thanks
    Jim

You have to understand that a touch screen device requires a totally different user interface than a keyboard device.
    Simply DO NOT design your applications in a 'keyboard' way; you have to abandon your 'keyboard' habits and learn to think in 'touch' categories. Porting a 'keyboard' application to a touchscreen simply by drawing a virtual d-pad on the screen is an atrocity.

Whenever on a keyboard-based device you use a d-pad, on a touchscreen you can for example utilize the tilt sensor. Or touch gestures. I know there are applications ( like fast games ) where it is really hard to substitute a d-pad with anything else - well then, this kind of applications are simply unsuitable for a touchscreen.