Discussion Board

Question [Moved] Express Signing and Certified Signing

What is the difference b/w Express Signing and Certified Signing?
    and what is the process for both of them?
    Please help me its urgent.

Thanking in advanve

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Express Signing and Certified Signing

You could maybe check it from symbian signed page.

anyway the main differencies are that:
    - express signing will mean that some of teh higher capabilities can not be used with the applciation,
    - With Express signing you get the signed sis strait away, where as with certified they will do testing for it, which takes a bit of time
    - Express signing is 20 Euroes where as certified is more.

If i want to sign my application by Express signing.
    How can i test my application against the Symbian Signed Test Criteria before i submit it.
    If Express signing fails due to any reasone then i have to purchase content ID again to sign it.

Basically you should go to teh symbian signed, get the newest testing criteria, and do test that your application is working as expected and would pass all of the symbian signed testing, easiest way to see how it can be done is to get the doc and read it.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: [Moved] Express Signing and Certified Signing

You will find these links very useful:

* https://www.symbiansigned.com/

* http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...4_Wiki_version

* http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...Symbian_Signed

PS: Please post your question in the appropriate section. I have moved your thread to the Installation, Certification and Security under Symbian C++.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by prashant.sharma View Post
    If i want to sign my application by Express signing.
    How can i test my application against the Symbian Signed Test Criteria before i submit it.
    If Express signing fails due to any reasone then i have to purchase content ID again to sign it.

Hi,
    the beauty about ES is that it cannot fail - even if your application does not fulfill the criteria.

And if it once does, you get yourself a new developer certificate and start anew - the cost of 220$ total is ignorable compared to the time saved...

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Hi,
    the beauty about ES is that it cannot fail - even if your application does not fulfill the criteria.

And if it once does, you get yourself a new developer certificate and start anew - the cost of 220$ total is ignorable compared to the time saved...

All the best
    Tam Hanna
    That is the most stupidest thing you have said sofar! Very childish opinion and hopefully nobody will follow your advises.

Super Contributor

Re: [Moved] Express Signing and Certified Signing

Hi Yucca,
    I have almost expected you to respond here :-).

I can fully understand that you are in the position of havinbg to defend Certification and Signing - and I, like every other application developer, believe in quality of an application.

However, some of the criterion in the Symbian Signed thingy are just pointless - like an obligatory help file for even the smallest and dumbest of applications...

My point here was that ES provides an _instantaneous_ signed file at a very low cost. And if something small goes wrong, there are no consequences.

P.S. If someone takes my statement as a go ahead and build crap - he will most likely see how far it will take him. Either the QA of SE or Nokia (SE is actually, even stricter than Nokia); the press; or the user feedback will put an end to hi8s aspirations.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog