Discussion Board

Question Tools for quick start with Qt for Symbian

Hi All,

I'm using QtSDk for developing desktop applications. It's really cool all-in-one package so I don't need any external package to download. but lately Nokia announced that Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian Beta is available to download so I planned to starting up some tests for developing Qt for mobile phones but I don't know really from where I can start.

1. Do I need Qt Framework, Qt for Symbian or both of them for developing Qt Symbian applications (*.sis)?
    2. Can I use Qt Creator for developing Qt Symbian applications (*.sis) just like usual Qt desktop applications?
    3. What's the benefit of Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian Beta if Qt for Symbian framework is available to download?!

Sorry for stupid questions because I'm still newbie in developing applications for mobile phones ;-)

Super Contributor

Re: Tools for quick start with Qt for Symbian

Wiki is the best place to start learning about Qt for Symbian. Do give it a search there, if any problem do let us know.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mbnoimi View Post
    Hi All,

I'm using QtSDk for developing desktop applications. It's really cool all-in-one package so I don't need any external package to download. but lately Nokia announced that Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian Beta is available to download so I planned to starting up some tests for developing Qt for mobile phones but I don't know really from where I can start.
    The situation does require a bit of clarification: when developing Qt applications for say Windows desktops you are required to ensure that your application is distributed with the appropriate Qt binaries and if using the mingw compiler you will have to provide e.g. the mingwm10.dll which you cannot expect to exist on customer's PC. You are therefore required to deploy your application with an installation kit, i.e. *.msi.

On Symbian the same rules apply and the equivalent of *.msi is the *.sis[x] file.

1. Do I need Qt Framework, Qt for Symbian or both of them for developing Qt Symbian applications (*.sis)?
    You need Qt for Symbian installed on top of a compatible Symbian/S60 SDK.
    2. Can I use Qt Creator for developing Qt Symbian applications (*.sis) just like usual Qt desktop applications?
    Yes, if you prefer that over the Eclipse based Carbide.c++. With two side notes:
    a) as said above, SIS is just the installation kit package while you are developing *.exe and *.dll binaries. Nonetheless an additional build step is usually added to actually generated the sis files.
    b) Qt Creator's support for Symbian SDKs is still rather basic so you should expect some problems and be ready to report some errors.
    3. What's the benefit of Nokia Smart Installer for Symbian Beta if Qt for Symbian framework is available to download?!
    As said above, Qt must be deployed with the application in order to ensure its availability on customer's device. Since the package is rather large and since the customer would have to pay for data download the idea is to provide an online installer, similar to those widely used in PC world (e.g. Yahoo! Messenger or any of the apps needing Microsoft .NET support). The deployed package is minimal but depending on what is available on customer's device some more packages will be fetched and installed if needed. Only if needed and only once.
    Sorry for stupid questions because I'm still newbie in developing applications for mobile phones ;-)
    No problem. It is best for these questions to be asked and answered, for everyone's sake
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

You need Qt for Symbian installed on top of a compatible Symbian/S60 SDK.
    Is there any all-in-one package just like Qt SDK for Linux & Windows?
    I tried to dive in Qt Creator to learn how I can develop mobile phone applications and I found ton of dependecies as shown in this link that's make developing mobile phone by Qt a quite hard to me as a newbie

if you prefer that over the Eclipse based Carbide.c++
    But Eclipse based Carbide.c++ doesn't support GUI desinger just like Qt designer in Qt creator! I really need rapid developing toolkit.

The deployed package is minimal but depending on what is available on customer's device some more packages will be fetched and installed if needed. Only if needed and only once.
    Can I download the files from the web by my PC then deploy them to as *.sis installer to any mobile phone?
    I askes this question because most mobile phones users in my country still using GPRS so it's hard to downlad big files from by it, so I forced to make standalone packeges just like usual Linus or/and Windows installers (app.exe+mingw32.dll+QCore.dll+QtGUI.dll...etc)
    My Blog:
    http://mbnoimi.net/

ltomuta, I forgot to thank you a lot for your patience. you eased my disturbance a lot because I'm not familiar with mobile phones development specially I couldn't find any arranged reference suitable for newbies (dummies).
    My Blog:
    http://mbnoimi.net/

Super Contributor

I tried to dive in Qt Creator to learn how I can develop mobile phone applications and I found ton of dependecies as shown in this link that's make developing mobile phone by Qt a quite hard to me as a newbi
    yes it is right now some what harder then Qt on Mac / linux / Windows. Hope that it will improve over time.

But Eclipse based Carbide.c++ doesn't support GUI desinger just like Qt designer in Qt creator! I really need rapid developing toolkit.
    yes Carbide.c++ does support GUI desinger
    Can I download the files from the web by my PC then deploy them to as *.sis installer to any mobile phone?
    I askes this question because most mobile phones users in my country still using GPRS so it's hard to downlad big files from by it, so I forced to make standalone packeges just like usual Linus or/and Windows installers (app.exe+mingw32.dll+QCore.dll+QtGUI.dll...etc)
    yes but in that case the SIS size will be very big. like 8MB+

Nokia Developer Moderator

I tried to dive in Qt Creator to learn how I can develop mobile phone applications and I found ton of dependecies as shown in this link that's make developing mobile phone by Qt a quite hard to me as a newbie
    Qt for Linux and Qt for Windows may be an all-in-one solution but that's because they will run and compile for the targeted platform on the targeted platform. Try to build an app for Windows on Linux and see how that perspective changes. I'm afraid that you will have to download all the packages and install them as instructed, SDKs and patches and all.

Carbide.c++ has Qt's UI designer embedded, with the same RAD features only in a heavier environment. But you can start with Qt Creator, and only if you run into unsolvable troubles switch to Carbide.c++

The Qt libraries are in the Qt for Symbian package (look for qt.sis and qtwebkit.sis) and you can embed them in end product's SIS file (look for embedded sis file in Symbian docs, PKG file format and similar in Qt docs). But that will make the entire package rather huge (Qt also needs OpenC, which adds to the overall size) so unsuitable for OTA distribution. So depending on your needs you have plenty of choices to make. Large files (with all that's needed in a SIS file) for offline install (from PC) and small files (using the smart installer) if you deploy the install file to a store, like Ovi Store.

ltomuta, I forgot to thank you a lot for your patience. you eased my disturbance a lot because I'm not familiar with mobile phones development specially I couldn't find any arranged reference suitable for newbies (dummies).
    You are welcome. We aim to have all the info one needs on Forum Nokia and Qt web sites but if something is missing we do welcome your feedback so that we can improve our offering and make it more accessible. My advice is that you have a look first at http://tinyurl.com/StartSymbian for a bit of Symbian background info. You will need it in order to manage the installation of all those inter-dependent packages and for testing the install. Then whenever in trouble do find the most suitable forum (or mailing list, but only one of them please ) and ask your question. An answer will be soon available to you, thanks to our great developer community.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite