×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29

    Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    Hi, I'm trying to show user a picture during incoming call.
    I use CImageDecoder to decode image from JPG (small size, don't exceed screen resolution) to native bitmap during incoming call. The strange thing is that it works perfectly on S60 3rd edition. But on 5th edition decoding is very slow (up to 35-40 seconds). Another strange thing is that if phone's profile is set to "silent" everyting is ok. CActive priority changes do not affect.

    So in summary image decoding takes too long during incoming call which is not silenced. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    9,968

    Re: Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    Try increasing your process priority.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29

    Re: Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    Try increasing your process priority.
    Yes, I tried that. Same result. But once it was very strange effect: profile melody was for some reason changed for default ringtone and decoding went fast. But it was just once.

  4. #4
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lempäälä/Finland
    Posts
    29,166

    Re: Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    Basically I have had similar problem once, but that was mainly with N80, and while decoding animation frames, back then the problem was that CPU did hit 100% during processing of the image. Anyway, the CPU load is easily checked with Y-Tasks::Trace, just use the settings to enable teh real time showing there. The if it is the CPU problem, basically best way is to give teh device a bit of processing time and seeing whether it actually speeds all things up..

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29

    Re: Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    Basically I have had similar problem once, but that was mainly with N80, and while decoding animation frames, back then the problem was that CPU did hit 100% during processing of the image. Anyway, the CPU load is easily checked with Y-Tasks::Trace, just use the settings to enable teh real time showing there. The if it is the CPU problem, basically best way is to give teh device a bit of processing time and seeing whether it actually speeds all things up..
    Thanks Yucca, but the strange thing is that it is far from 100% CPU usage, so this is not because of CPU.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15

    Re: Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    Hi Dmitry,

    On which S60 3rd Edition phones did the JPEG decoding during phone ringing work OK for you?

    Have you tried changing the ring tone to be an uncompressed "wave" file instead of an AAC or MP3 (as a test)? Or changing the the image to be an MBM while the AAC/MP3 ringtone is playing?

    In your case, my guess is that there is competition for a DSP instead of the main application processor. On current 5th edition phones maybe JPEG decoding is hardware accelerated using the same DSP that is busy with a higher priority audio task. Just a guess....
    Last edited by Shnarzan; 2010-02-25 at 08:02. Reason: Typo

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29

    Re: Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shnarzan View Post
    Hi Dmitry,

    On which S60 3rd Edition phones did the JPEG decoding during phone ringing work OK for you?

    Have you tried changing the ring tone to be an uncompressed "wave" file instead of an AAC or MP3 (as a test)? Or changing the the image to be an MBM while the AAC/MP3 ringtone is playing?

    In your case, my guess is that there is competition for a DSP instead of the main application processor. On current 5th edition phones maybe JPEG decoding is hardware accelerated using the same DSP that is busy with a higher priority audio task. Just a guess....
    Hi Shnarzan and thanks for your valuable answer. On S60 3rd edition this works well at Nokia E61i,E70,E71,E72,E75,N71,N73,etc. I guess it works just fine on every S60 3rd edition device.
    Yes, I've tried with wave sound file as a ringtone and it works ok, so it seems like you are right.

  8. #8
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    9,968

    Re: Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    if that is the case then you can try decoding and saving image MBM format so that when you have to show you just load the file and show it on screen no need to decode.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15

    Re: Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    If the same application code works OK on the 3rd Ed phones like E75 and N81, then my initial guess about the "DSP competition" is probably not entirely correct. I was guessing that maybe N73, N93, N95, and N96 would be able to handle the situation better than the E75, N81, or N78.

    An alternative to using MBM: it sounds strange to say, but a pure software JPEG decoder may work better in this case than CImageDecoder's hardware accelerated one.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    29

    Re: Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    Hi guys, so the problem has been solved by showing mbm during incoming call without decoding. Files are bigger but at least it works now.

    Thanks for your answers.

  11. #11
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    81

    Re: Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    I've encountered a similar problem recently (ICL decoding being very, very slow). In my case it only happened when I was debugging the code (Carbide attached via TRK). It made debugging just about impossible as I needed to load quite a few images. In the end I decided the most sensible workaround was not to use the ICL at all and load bitmap data another way.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    22

    Re: Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    Hi All

    I am a newbee for Symbian development.
    I want to programatically change the call image in nokia (S60 3rd edition) for every one hour.
    How to change the call image programatically.

    Any help is highly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Anna

  13. #13
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    9,968

    Re: Image decoding during incoming call (S60 5th edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by ahonly4u View Post
    Hi All

    I am a newbee for Symbian development.
    I want to programatically change the call image in nokia (S60 3rd edition) for every one hour.
    How to change the call image programatically.

    Any help is highly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Anna
    try not to multi post or hijack somebody else's post when your problem not even near to original post. refer to your original post http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ht=#post753783

Similar Threads

  1. S60 5th Edition emulator startup problem
    By gopitek in forum Symbian
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2010-09-08, 08:05
  2. Python for S60 1.9.3 released
    By tvijayan in forum Symbian
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 2009-04-03, 15:00
  3. Application Termination in S60 5th Edition device (Nokia 5800)
    By neeraja.nokia in forum Mobile Java General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2009-03-23, 08:55
  4. Icons in s60
    By drizzt6 in forum Mobile Java General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2009-03-06, 09:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×