Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

N900 On Device Debugging With ESBOX (QT or GTK supported)

If you have problems with configuring your N900 and ESBOX for on device debugging, here is a post that might help you out.

http://klentech.blogspot.com/2010/02...ith-esbox.html

I lost so much time with this and wrote this in hope of saving yours .

Klen

Super Contributor

Re: N900 On Device Debugging With ESBOX (QT or GTK supported)

Well, Android SDK is performing debugging in emulator, which is part of SDK, while you are debugging on a remote device. Naturally it's harder to setup.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by divanov View Post
    Well, Android SDK is performing debugging in emulator, which is part of SDK, while you are debugging on a remote device. Naturally it's harder to setup.

I meant Android on device debugging as well. The only thing you need to do there is to install the Android USB drivers that ship with the SDK and you are set to go. No configuration or on device installation needed.

To start debugging the application on the device you open and build the project. When you run the app, you get to choose on which device you want to run it (emulator or device). The second step is very similar to what you do in ESBOX whereas the first is quite more difficult, though I have only tried Andorid development on Windows OS. It might be a little bit more complicated to set it up on Linux.

Klen

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Klen View Post
    I meant Android on device debugging as well. The only thing you need to do there is to install the Android USB drivers that ship with the SDK and you are set to go. No configuration or on device installation needed.

To start debugging the application on the device you open and build the project. When you run the app, you get to choose on which device you want to run it (emulator or device). The second step is very similar to what you do in ESBOX whereas the first is quite more difficult, though I have only tried Andorid development on Windows OS. It might be a little bit more complicated to set it up on Linux.

Klen
    The only thing I see you did on N900 is installation of gdb and openssh. I don't really know what is maemo-PC-connectivity and why do you need to install it on the device. The good point is that we probably should have development version of firmware with openssh and gdb ready installed, then you won't need to perform any manipulation on the device. End users don't need that, but developers definitely do.
    Btw, there is actually possibility to do all that stuff using WLAN, which is easier than USB networking setup.

Regular Contributor

I decided to install PC-Connectivity on my linux box in order to avoid writing abour how to change your /etc/network/interfaces config file. It might make more sense to chnage that I guess.

However, I don't think it would make sense to do the same on the device. Specially as you want the advantage (compared to Andriod) to switch between different connection interfaces. Even though this is not covered in the short tutorial I wrote.

I aggree with the suggested development version of the firmware. I think it would be apprishieted by the novince in Maemo and Linux like me.

Klen
    Last edited by Klen; 2010-02-24 at 18:46.