Discussion Board

Question Development environment for Maemo 5 with Qt

Hello everybody.

I'm completely new to all Nokia platforms, and I'm wanting to start developing applications for Maemo 5, using Qt.

I've been reading and downloading tools since yesterday, but there are some questions I have not been able to find the answer for.

Is there a way to develop for Maemo 5 using Qt directly on a Windows machine (without the use of a Linux VM) ?

If I have to use a VM, should I use Maemo SDK Virtual Images 0.10 or Virtual PC Image - Maemo SDK v0.02, or is it the only difference between them the virtualization product I want to use (VMWare or MS Virtual PC) ?

Also, as it seems that both of these images were created before the release of Qt 4.6.2 and I think also before the release of the final Maemo 5 SDK, would I be better off downloading all the tools and configuring the development environment by myself ? If that is the case, is there a guide with detailed instructions to create such environment ? (Something similar to the "Setting up the Qt for Symbian development environment" guide included in the library, but for Maemo 5).

I would really appreciate any comment or information.

Thanks for your time.

-CADLG

Re: Development environment for Maemo 5 with Qt

Well, I have found some threads and articles related to this, but none of them seem to be updated.

Maybe I will have to try by myself, and spend some time figuring out how to make it work, which honestly is what I was trying to avoid. Anyway, I'm sure it will be interesting.

Maybe I didn't get answers because this is not the right forum for my question. If so, please somebody move it to the appropriate one (maybe Qt for Maemo).

Thanks,

Regular Contributor

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by axeljaeger View Post
    It was reported twice on the Discussion Boards that MADDE has been producing invalid binary code leading to strange bugs. So be careful when playing with it.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cadlg View Post
    Is there a way to develop for Maemo 5 using Qt directly on a Windows machine (without the use of a Linux VM) ?
    As Axel said it would be MADDE.

If I have to use a VM, should I use Maemo SDK Virtual Images 0.10 or Virtual PC Image - Maemo SDK v0.02, or is it the only difference between them the virtualization product I want to use (VMWare or MS Virtual PC) ?
    You forgot the link.

Also, as it seems that both of these images were created before the release of Qt 4.6.2 and I think also before the release of the final Maemo 5 SDK, would I be better off downloading all the tools and configuring the development environment by myself ?
    At the moment Qt 4.6.2 is not part of Maemo 5, so there is no SDK containing it.
    Qt 4.6.2 has to be installed separately from extras-devel repository
    http://wiki.maemo.org/Qt4Hildon#Usin...6_in_Fremantle

Thanks Axel and Daniil.

I was aware of MADDE (I didn't mention it, though), but as it at the moment is just a technical preview I decided not to use it by now.

I have decided to start with a fresh installation of Ubuntu Karmic, and I'm planning to start creating my Maemo dev environment later today.

Thank you guys.

-CarlosDL