Discussion Board

Post [moved] Is Charwidth changes for platform to platform in QT ?(cross platform)

Hai all,

Currently i am working on Cross platforms(i.e Windows and AIX) using QT. Here i am facing a problem with char width. The char width is changing for few characters in both the platforms so that the text size and word wrap also changes. I din't get the same output. Can any one help me in this issue.

Thanks in Advance,
    Devi.ch
    Last edited by devi.ch; 2010-02-25 at 07:24.

Is Charwidth changes for platform to platform in QT ?(cross platform)

Hai all,

Currently i am working on Cross platforms(i.e Windows and AIX) using QT. Here i am facing a problem with char width. The char width is changing for few characters in both the platforms so that the text size and word wrap also changes. I din't get the same output. Can any one help me in this issue.

Thanks in Advance,
    Devi.ch

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: [moved] Is Charwidth changes for platform to platform in QT ?(cross platform)

You're talking about character width as displayed in a line of text on the screen?

Two things to keep in mind:

1) The available fonts vary from platform to platform. The system attempts to map your font description to the "best match", but on some platforms the choices are limited (S60, eg, only has three font families).

2) Point sizes don't necessarily match between platforms, especially when compared to the default sizes of some widgets. Again, on S60 you'd use a point size about half that that you'd use on Windows, in order to get it to "scale" with the rest of the layout.

Re: [moved] Is Charwidth changes for platform to platform in QT ?(cross platform)

Hai

Thanks for your immediate reply.

I am developing a software for a product.It designs a template with different objects like plan text, rich text etc. My plan text or rich text contains some text with different fonts and sizes. In windows by using QFontmetrics class i can able to know the charwidth which take glyph.advance.x from GetTextExtentPoint32w method. where as in AIX i am able to get charwidth which is sligtly differ from windows in some cases but i am unable to know by using which method is returns glyph.advance.x in AIX ???.

Its compulsory to me to get the same outputs in any platform

can you help me in this issue.

Regards,
    Devi.ch

Nokia Developer Champion

Sorry, I have no familiarity with the Windows interfaces.