Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Delete Nokia's signatures, extract files, modify the package and sign it again

Hello,

is it possible to modify Nokia's sis file so it behaves in a different way during the installation process. I mean if I have embedded sis file I would like to make it to stop asking for C:\ drive. I'm talking about xmldatabinding_v1_0_en_MR2.sis. Is it legal?

Regular Contributor

Re: Delete Nokia's signatures, extract files, modify the package and sign it again

Quote Originally Posted by elviin View Post
    Hello,

is it possible to modify Nokia's sis file so it behaves in a different way during the installation process. I mean if I have embedded sis file I would like to make it to stop asking for C:\ drive. I'm talking about xmldatabinding_v1_0_en_MR2.sis. Is it legal?
    Update: I can not sign it anyway. It has capabilities I can not sign. Is it possible to force an embedded package to be installed on the C: drive?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Delete Nokia's signatures, extract files, modify the package and sign it again

Symbian Signed requires you to allow your user to decide on which drive to install the app. Once you do so, the embedded drive will be installed on the same drive.

The only way to override the install drive is by programmatically installing the package using the Software Installer Launcher API
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

I have used C:\ prefixes for my resources in the pkg file. Thank you Itomuta, but I need to make it clear. In the symbian signed test criteria there is written on p. 11:
    "Under no circumstances should unbounded content (e.g. cached pages, log files) be stored on C: drive by default or without user permission"

So it sounds like it is possible to install the app in a default location but the user must be notified with a dialog about this, or he/she can cancel the installation process.

I think I have already experienced such installation where the user is just notified about the default location (e.g. C:\). But prefixing the files with C: does not make the embedded package to install itself on the same drive:/

Nokia Developer Moderator

Indeed, the rules have been relaxed by Symbian Signed lately but still, I think you should allow the user to decide, unless you have a strong reason not to.

As said, the only way to overide the prompt is by using the APIs to start the installation of that component.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Thank you Itomuta for comments! I will use the api.