Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

publish as a freelance developer

You need a company ID to publish on the OVI store. In the UK if you are registered as a sole trader (self-employed), you get your unique tax ID, that's not strictly speaking a registered company (that would have to be a Limited Company), but YOU are registered as self-employed, and obviously you pay taxes.

There are two things I'd like to know:

1)I've read in several places that this type of business is accepted by the OVI store to publish, however it's not that clear either, just things I've read here and there from people, no confirmation. It's important for me to know that, as I am a feelance developer (registered as a sole trader in the UK, with tax ID), but have never published anything on any mobile platform. If anyone can shed some light, thanks.
    I also understand that you need a website, an email adress from the same domain, a logo, that's fine.

2)As for SymbianSigned and getting a Publisher ID, it also requires a registered company. But for this one I haven't found any hint saying that a freelance developer can go through. But I'm still hoping it would be possible somehow.

Thanks for letting me know.

Super Contributor

Re: publish as a freelance developer

Hi,

I got idea that (self-employed) shoudl be OK. It would be perfect to ask from Symbian Signed to make it sure. They want to trace the SW origian.
    Once some body has Publisher ID I think it will be easy to publish to Ovi.

Hi RomanAge

As far as I am aware, Publisher IDs are only distributed to registered companies and NOT sole traders. As I'm sure you're aware, you cannot express/certify sign your application without a valid Publisher ID. I'd recommend contacting the helpdesk at the TC Trustcenter (ID issuer) to avoid any further disappointment.

Cheers

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your answers.
    For Symbian publisher ID, I should be able to find out by contacting Symbian Signed.
    As for OVI, after posting my message, I looked further into the matter, realizing that I've raised a very sensitive issue among many developers. There's no clear answer, some freelancers have succeeded, some haven't, and some who got their publisher ID in the first place even have had it removed. I understand that there's some contention about it, many freelance developers seeing the situation as unfair for them (comparted to other platforms that welcome freelance or hobby developers), and making no sense for OVI from a business point of vue. I believe it does make sense though, it's a direction they chose to go, but I still find it annoying!

Anyway, I will see what I can do, and I see several options here for individual developers wanting to publish their applications for Symbian (or Java).

1) try the OVI store if you think you can
    2) contact a publisher company that will be able to publish on the OVI store, make a deal with them for your application
    3) if you personnaly know a company related to software/web development, that you trust of course, you could use them as your publisher (even if their activity is not mobile phone development), legally of course, probably make a better deal with them, considering you are still the one doing all the work, testing and submitting.
    4) finally, tha last option is off topic, as it's not OVI publishing. To do it on your own through other portals for mobile applications (although I'm sure this would just get a small percentage of the sales you could expect from OVI)

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello RomanAge,

The Ovi Store company validating process involves verifying your VAT ID. As long as you have a valid VAT / Tax ID, you will be able to publish with Ovi.

As for signing your content, both Java Verified and Symbian Signing require a publisher ID through the TC TrustCenter. Thawte and VeriSign Code Signing Certificate is a workaround for the publisher ID requirement; however, this only pertains to Java-based applications.

You may receive more information from the following links:
    www.verisign.com/
    www.thawte.com/
    www.javaverified.com/
    https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/page/overview/process

Hope this helps.

OviAndrew
    OVI Publisher Support
    Promote your Ovi Store App on the web now!
    http://promotions.ovi.com/toolkit

Super Contributor

Hi,
    even though I am not an attorney in any way, allow me to suggest you to look at UK limiteds. There are companies specialized on running these for less than 500 eur a year!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Nokia Developer Moderator

To me it sounds like RomanAge can do business with Ovi Store just fine.

If there are any problems getting the Publisher ID (that's really between you and TC Trust Center, the Publisher ID provider for Symbian Signed) I would suggest getting in touch with Symbian Foundation's Horizon program and see if they can help you publish through their program.

As for Java Verified that is not a mandatory requirement (although highly recommended) so that's solved too.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hello, and thank you to all of you...
    I will first try to contact TC Trust Center and see if I can get a publisher ID.
    Will also have a look at the Symbian Foundation's Horizon program.

RomanAge, have you managed to obtain your publisher ID? I'm an independent as well and wishing to sell a software in OVI.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by quarkos View Post
    RomanAge, have you managed to obtain your publisher ID? I'm an independent as well and wishing to sell a software in OVI.
    A Publisher ID may no longer be necessary, see http://www.forum.nokia.com/Distribut..._signing.xhtml
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite