Discussion Board

5800: Canvas too small

Hello everyone,

I'm currently developing a small application in Netbeans 6.8 (MIPD-2.1/CLDC1.1) where I created several forms to calculate values, and also a canvas to draw a littla graph. It is possible to navigate from a form to the graph and navigate back.

My Graph Class extends Canvas.

Everything works fine in the emulator (DefaultTouchPhone - the Symbian Emulator refuses work, seems to be some config problem) but unfortunately when launching the application on my 5800 the canvas stretches only from top to half height of the display (and full width).

What can I do to make the canvas stretch over the whole screen (I guess fullscreenMode is no option because I lose the screen command for navigating back)?

Hope you can help me

Super Contributor

Re: 5800: Canvas too small

Add:

Code:
    Nokia-MIDlet-On-Screen-Keypad: no
    to your application's JAD or JAR MANIFEST. This will disable the direction controls that appear, allowing the Canvas to occupy the same space as other Screen objects. You Canvas will no longer receive any keyPressed() events, since there will be no keys.

Graham.

Nokia Developer Expert

Instead of using the JAD attribute and it's value, end-user can also switch the keypad off from the Suite settings which are located:

Menu -> Settings-> Application mgr -> Installed apps -> Options -> Suite settings -> On-screen keypad

This works only if there is no JAD attribute set for the Java application.

From your use case point of view, the advice by grahamhughes is definitively better since it sets the keypad off always for good.

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Wow, that helped (I added the entry to the manifest)!

Thank you both very much, I'm really really happy with this solution! That's exactly what I wanted!

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    Add:

Code:
    Nokia-MIDlet-On-Screen-Keypad: no
    to your application's JAD or JAR MANIFEST. This will disable the direction controls that appear, allowing the Canvas to occupy the same space as other Screen objects. You Canvas will no longer receive any keyPressed() events, since there will be no keys.

Graham.
    Hi,

Is it possible to tell me how can i add it to JAD or JAD Manifest?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Your IDE may be able to add it for you. Check your IDE's documentation (look for "Application Descriptor Editor" or similar).

Or: the JAD is just a text file. You can add the line manually using something like Notepad.

Graham.

Arrow Re: 5800: Canvas too small

Hi,

I am facing the same problem.I made the modification(adding the attribute "Nokia-MIDlet-On-Screen-Keypad: no") in JAD file and on deploying it after saving, its just removing the newly added attribute.

Automatically the old JAD file is generating.I checked it for the manifest file also.Same problem is repeating.

Is there any other solution for this problem.

Thanks and regards,
    Vamsi Krishna Pasupuleti.

Super Contributor

Are you adding this to the JAD by hand, then re-building? You should use your build-process to add it to the JAD, so it is added automatically when you build. Look for your IDE's Application Descriptor Editor.

Graham.