Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Cool Best FPS rate for Nokia 5800

Anyone knows what is the best FPS rate for Nokia 5800 XM?
    Atila Correia
    SCJP, SCWCD, SCJA and MCP C#
    Game Developer and 3D Modeller
    www.atilacorreia.com
    www.linkedin.com/in/atilacorreia

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Best FPS rate for Nokia 5800

Quote Originally Posted by atilacorreiacunha View Post
    Anyone knows what is the best FPS rate for Nokia 5800 XM?
    It not only depends upon ur device but also the type of application u r developing. I read out that if u r developing an application which has alot of scripts then it is good to choose lower frame rate i.e 20 FPS. and if u r developing a game which has a number of motion tween then it is good to choose higher frame rate i.e may 30 or 40 to smooth down the performance.According to my observation, it is good to use higher frame rate to avoid artificially limiting performance because if u choose 15 fps and device is capable of playing it on 20 fps then the content is artificially limited to 15 fps which causes performance issue. However, if i am at ur place i will set my frame rate from 24 to 40 depending on my content. But if i am creating an accelerometer game in flash lite, then i set my frame rate from 60-100 . Hope it helps...

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Regular Contributor

Hello Saji (The super contributor, ),

My question is based on Flash Lite optimization pdf for adobe, it says

"Therefore, set the frame rate to an fps that is native to the target device. If you are not sure of your
    target device's ideal frame rates, you should test different frame rates to see if adjusting them
    significantly affects the achievable frame rate of your movie.

An example will help illustrate this: On Symbian Series 60v2-based phones, the timer resolution is 1/64
    second. That means DoPlay can get called at the following time intervals: 1/64, 2/64, 3/64, 4/64, 5/64, etc.
    Hence, the frame rates (fps) that are available on such devices are: 64, 32, 21.3, 16, 12.8, etc.

So when content authored at 20 fps runs, it theoretically should be called every 1/20 second. However,
    Symbian only has a 1/64 second resolution, so 1/20 falls between the 3/64 and 4/64 intervals that
    Symbian can provide. The player is conservative and will only advance frames when the 1/20 interval is
    exceeded, i.e. after 4/64 seconds has elapsed. This corresponds to 16 fps! That’s a 20% adjustment – or
    loss in perceived performance!"

So, there is no magic number, only apps based on scripts and others based on motion tweens.

regards,
    Atila Correia
    SCJP, SCWCD, SCJA and MCP C#
    Game Developer and 3D Modeller
    www.atilacorreia.com
    www.linkedin.com/in/atilacorreia

Nokia Developer Champion

Hello Saji (The super contributor, )
    Hi ! I am now a Forum Nokia Champion (selected this year) & the title will be change in few days .
    So, there is no magic number, only apps based on scripts and others based on motion tweens.
    I agree that there is no magic number but also there is not a perfect practical number. So, as the author said :
    If you are not sure of your target device's ideal frame rates, you should test different frame rates to see if adjusting them significantly affects the achievable frame rate of your movie.
    As i said before 20-40 works smooth for me in most cases plus the above document give us an important point about choosing a correct FPS which actually means that ur content frame rate should be in sync with the device system clock i.e it should be integral multiple of ur system's frame rate and if it is not, then ur content FPS will round off to the nearest possible frame rate by slowing down ur content.but ofcourse there is a difference between authorizing level frame rate and its translation in the actual FPS.So, according to my vision, ONE perfect fps for all flash lite contents cannot be judged but the best approach is to test different frame rates for ur content and observe the performance by urself. The tool which can help u in this case is FPS meter :
    Oxygen_-_The_Flash_Lite_Developers_Kit
    and this article :
    frame rate profile
    and this article contains some observed frame-rates :
    Frame Rate Of Different Devices

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft