Discussion Board

Input text behavior inconsistency on 5800/N97

I can't seem to figure it out: sometimes when I click on an input text field, a dialog with another input text field pops, having "Ok" and "Cancel" buttons on the side of the screen. I then have to click it to get the virtual keyboard opened, and finally click "Ok" to close it and accept the text.
    In other cases, once I click my input text, the virtual keyboard immediately opens, and when I click the "V" sign I get back to my (filled) input text, with the letter "A" above it. I have to click anywhere on the screen to apply the text (and have onChanged called).

While both methods are annoying and wouldn't be my preferred solution for user input, I would like to be able to control it. For now, I can't predict what method will be "selected" by the device! I'm probably doing something wrong and missing the obvious. Can someone help?

It might have something to do with the writing language. It seems that for right-to-left (Hebrew/Arabic) it uses the first method and for left-to-right it uses the second. But I'm not sure that is always the case...

Thanks,
    Ranco
    Last edited by ranco; 2010-03-05 at 09:41.

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Input text behavior inconsistency on 5800/N97

Quote Originally Posted by ranco View Post
    Right-to-left (Hebrew/Arabic) it uses the first method and for left-to-right it uses the second. But I'm not sure that is always the case...
    I did some tests and i agree with ur statement that if the language is right-to-left (I tested with Arabic) then it opens a pop-up for typing the language and if we use LTR languages then it directly open the keyboard. I tested & got the same behavior on E50 (FL 3.0 DE), N78 (FL 3.0 DE) & 5800 (FL 3.0/3.1). This method should be evolved to provide capability of RTL languages in Flash Lite.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Re: Input text behavior inconsistency on 5800/N97

Quote Originally Posted by sajisoft View Post
    I did some tests and i agree with ur statement that if the language is right-to-left (I tested with Arabic) then it opens a pop-up for typing the language and if we use LTR languages then it directly open the keyboard. I tested & got the same behavior on E50 (FL 3.0 DE), N78 (FL 3.0 DE) & 5800 (FL 3.0/3.1). This method should be evolved to provide capability of RTL languages in Flash Lite.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft
    So you think that the default editor doesn't support RTL languages, and hence this popup editor is loaded?
    Ranco

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Input text behavior inconsistency on 5800/N97

Quote Originally Posted by ranco View Post
    So you think that the default editor doesn't support RTL languages, and hence this popup editor is loaded?
    Ranco
    I think that the RTL languages are not FULLY compatible with default inline editor thats why the developer chooses the pop-up editor. I did few test. I choose mini QWERTY keyboard and i am able to make inline editor fool by changing the english language to Arabic language while in-line editing.In that case, you can write the arabic language into the inline editor but u will find out that u neither u r able to select the text written in in-line editor nor the text wraps well (if it is multi-line). However, We may say this case is bidirectional text case but it also shows that RTLs are not fully compatible with in-line editing.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft