Discussion Board

Question about express signing

..and now I can finally sign my application!

However, I'm looking the Ovi store policy document at http://nds2.fds-download.nokia.com/f...A1D63WEFOESBFR and at page 40, it says to indicate the App UID of the application

Actually, my sis is composed by two executable, a GUI user interface and a console command (and so each has their own protected UID)...plus one for contextual help.

I'm wondering if I should insert two UID in that form or I should only indicate the one of the GUI application...some clarifications?

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Question about express signing

just give the UID used in thr pkg for the SIS file, one of my apps has 11 parts having their own UID, so having more parts is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    just give the UID used in thr pkg for the SIS file, one of my apps has 11 parts having their own UID, so having more parts is not a problem.
    Ah perfect. Thanks.

Good question. I wonder if somebody from Ovi Store knows what an application UID is.
    Which UID are you using for the package file btw, one of those used in binaries or a unique one?

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenotplz View Post
    Good question. I wonder if somebody from Ovi Store knows what an application UID is.
    Which UID are you using for the package file btw, one of those used in binaries or a unique one?
    And why would you think that my answer would not be correct one ?

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    And why would you think that my answer would not be correct one ?
    Have I said that? Silly me, I certainly did not mean it. I just have more questions which your answer does not cover.

- In a sis package we are supposed to provide a UID, which Carbide sets by default as the UID3 of the app. But is that correct? I have seen opinions that it should be unique as well. And how about when you have multiple components, each with their own UIDs? Which one shall be the package UID then?

- Ovi Store asks for the application UID. Can you show me a definition of it? Is it the UID3 of the app? Which one, if the package has more than one app inside? Would it be the UID of the SIS package?

- I have seen apps which install two icons in the menu, therefore they have tow GUI components, presumably of equal weight, so which one is the one that dictates the Application UID?

- I assume that the reason Ovi Store asks for UID is to be able to find and start the application when the user presses "Launch" after having installed the app from the store. Is that correct? Would then the UID passes as application UID be the UID of the installed module I want the app to start? Which may or may not be the same as the app started from the app icon ...

You see, I need some more answers. And now I see that following Dokugogagoji's bad example I post a lot of questions in the wrong forum, these should have been asked where Ovi people gather ... wherever that might be.

In order to sign a sis you need to use UIDs allocated for the symbian signed account you are using for signing, thus with carbide you do need to change any defaullty allocated UIDs to be unique as well as your own allocated one.

As said you can use the UID for the sis with OVI (please read again what I have said previously).
    Two apps or more in one sis, the answer is still teh same I have given earlier.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenotplz View Post
    An UID can be obtained from Symbian-Signed. You then open the mmp file, and set it in UID3 file.

UID is like Palm CreatorId.

Further questions?
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog