Discussion Board

7160 SMS over TDMA non AT

How we command a 7160 to send / receive SMS without the AT command set (not working on TDMA) ?

Thank You.

Regular Contributor
    Hello

You want to do Smart Messaging over TDMA without using AT commands, correct?

You can always do simple text SMS, but for Smart Messaging (sending Ringtones, vCards, icons, etc.) you can use the WDP headers... i.e. the "//SCKL" headers to start-off your SMS. You will then need to use 7-bit encoding for your message objects.

More information about this can be found in the
    "Smart Messaging in TDMA Networks" document found at
    http://americas.forum.nokia.com/messaging/

You can also find many sources for this information on the internet.

Of course, remember that this is dependent on your Operator Network and wether they have Smart Messaging service. You should check first with your operator to see if they implement "Nokia Smart Messaging."

Have fun!
    ~quyen
    Last edited by quyen; 2003-04-18 at 22:10.

quyen,

So far we wnt to send only plain text SMS messages.

So far, we can´t send SMS messages on a 7160 using AT commands, it seems that on TDMA the full AT command set is not supported (Am I right ?, is in the Nokias AT for TDMA forums doc)

Then could you plase confirm thet this can be done using PDU or the WDP , I mean on 7160 over TDMA networks ?

Can you help me referring me to the proper doc describing how to do so ?

Thank You !

Regular Contributor
    Hello

There is documentation for both AT commands and using WDP headers over TDMA networks.

Please refer to www.Forum.Nokia.com under "Technologies" >> "Messaging" >> "Smart Messaging" >> "Documents"

Look at documents
    "Smart Messaging in TDMA Networks"
    and
    "AT Command Set for Nokia TDMA Products v1.0"

But, remember, the ability to use WDP headers for Smart Messaging must be implemented by your operator's networks. So, even if the phone does support WDP PDU's it won't work if your service provider's network is not set-up to enable it.

~quyen

To echapeta

Echapeta, I´m from Argentina too, and I want to do the same project but with a NOKIA 3360.

I saw that you posted your message on March, so Could you send/recive SMS over TDMA networks??

This is my email: jpsanchez46@hotmail.com

Please, Could you tell me if you did it ??

Thanks in advance

Juan Pablo