Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Questions regarding updates of application

Hi,

We are working with a large project for Ovi Store. Even if testing is important we will need to update the app in the future for end users.

From what I understand Ovi Store doesn't support this today. So we need to handle this in some way. Would this solution work or is there a better way:

1. We sumbit a new version to Ovi Store
    2. Our application checks on our server if an update is available (maybe for each start of the app?)
    3. If an update is available we show a message for the user
    4. He can then go into Ovi store and download the application again and he will get the updated version

Will this erase content that was created in the old version of the application, for example if we use a sqlite database in the application to save data?
    Will the user get charged again or will Ovi Store notice that he have already paid for the version?

Thanks for your help!

Super Contributor

Re: Questions regarding updates of application

Hi,
    all I can confirm is that when a user installs a SIS again into the same drive, user data survives. The issue is if he picks the wrong drive!

I am not sure whether the application must be uninstalled before Ovi allows a free redownload though!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Hi,
    all I can confirm is that when a user installs a SIS again into the same drive, user data survives. The issue is if he picks the wrong drive!

I am not sure whether the application must be uninstalled before Ovi allows a free redownload though!
    Thanks really much!

Does anyone else (maybe someone from Nokia) know if the user will need to delete the app to get a free update? And do you think the solution I am thinking of is a good idea?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by stegemann View Post
    Thanks really much!

Does anyone else (maybe someone from Nokia) know if the user will need to delete the app to get a free update? And do you think the solution I am thinking of is a good idea?
    Good idea: no. Good idea is like Apple does it.

Workable idea: yes.

Only workable idea: yes.

= best possible idea
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

Thanks!

When I send the user the notification of a new update, he can go into Ovi Store and download the new version for free is that correct?

The user will need to uninstall the application and then visit the Ovi Store in order to be able to re-download the app. If the app isn't uninstalled, then the user is only given the option to install the app.

It's also worth taking into consideration that the user can only re-download the app 5 times. So this uninstall & re-download option is only a short term solution.

Having spoken to Ovi Store support about this, they don't seem to have any date when this is going to be improved, and recommended we handle the update from our own servers.

Also, it's worth putting the version number into the title of your app, so that people can see there's a new version in the Ovi Store when your app directs them there.

Hope this helps.

Andy Nugent (Ravensoft)

Hello!
    I have formated my memory card several days ago. All applications deleted.
    I tried re-download applications, but they are in the section named "my stuf" and download button is blocked.
    Can anyone help me?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by andynugent View Post
    Having spoken to Ovi Store support about this, they don't seem to have any date when this is going to be improved, and recommended we handle the update from our own servers.
    Thanks really much for your answer! If they think you should use your own server for updates, then maybe they should write it somewhere? I contacted support about this too, to see what they say about it. We have been working with an app for some time and thought this was included in the store but now we need to find a solution for updates. How do you solve it?