Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Champion

Mobile ads not possible for apps in OVI Store?!

Ciao,

just got another note from OVI Publisher support about mobile ads.
    Basically mobile ads cannot be used since no one has control over what type of mobile ads will be displayed on mobile apps.
    Yes we can choose categories on Mobile Ads providers but we do not really have control over which ad will be displayed on a mobile application.

The simple example is an ad about mp3 download. This type of ad is not allowed by the OVI Store since it allows to download other content from other places.
    Of course most of ads advertise these type of downloads methods.

This is ridiculous and in fact means that you cannot publish mobile applications/games in OVI Store that has ads as part of your content. Can someone from OVI Store look at this and really discuss the fact that ads cannot be used?

It would really sucks if ads could not really be used since it's one of the main revenue resources.

Alessandro
    Last edited by biskero; 2010-03-10 at 12:07. Reason: needed to explain the title

Re: Mobile ads not possible for apps in OVI Store

Quote Originally Posted by biskero View Post
    Ciao,

just got another note from OVI Publisher support about mobile ads.
    Basically mobile ads cannot be used since no one has control over what type of mobile ads will be displayed on mobile apps.
    Yes we can choose categories on Mobile Ads providers but we do not really have control over which ad will be displayed on a mobile application.

The simple example is an ad about mp3 download. This type of ad is not allowed by the OVI Store since it allows to download other content from other places.
    Of course most of ads advertise these type of downloads methods.

This is ridiculous and in fact means that you cannot publish mobile applications/games in OVI Store that has ads as part of your content. Can someone from OVI Store look at this and really discuss the fact that ads cannot be used?

It would really sucks if ads could not really be used since it's one of the main revenue resources.

Alessandro
    TuneWiki has mobile ads...

99% of the free apps & games on ovi has ads... if they changed their mind about ads are they gonna remove it all?

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao,

I know that many apps have ads.
    But when the QA tests the apps that shows mobile ads, they will click the ad to see what it does.
    If the ad allows the user to download anything outside the OVI Store, the app will fail QA.

So it's a random thing, if QA notice that, they will take action, if not your app will pass.

In any case most of the mobile ads are made so that users will get something (any type of content) from the link they clicked.
    This is against the OVI Publisher T&C, which does not make any sense since mobile ads are allowed for apps!

Someone from OVI Publisher would say that as long as there are no downloads it's fine. YEs, ok, but mobile ads are provided by third party companies and the control on ads by the app developer is not so refined.

Alessandro

Super Contributor

Hi,
    the trick here is to resubmit .
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

It is very much depend on the partner you are choosing to supply your ads.

I am working at innerActive, a company specializing in "in-app ad optimization" at the global app stores.

when it come to ad optimisation at Ovi we are the big player: http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/35967...10000-from-ads

We have a lot of experience dealing with Ovi and we will make sure that our ads will not fail your app.

mail me at noam@inner-active.com and we take it forward.

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao,

how are you different from other Ad providers/aggregators?

I have a lot of experience with mobile ads.
    Anything that would drive traffic away from OVI would not fit the T&C, that's the issue.
    Most mobile ads do exactly that. Branding would be the only ad that might fit these type of T&C.

Alessandro

I can go forever on the things that making us different from other Ad providers/aggregators (like the high eCPM and fill-rate…)

But to stick to the issue, our company has a lot of experience cooperating with Ovi, as for today we are Ovi's recommended partner.
    Our system is fully coordinated with Ovi's T&C, our system know to recognize the source of the ad request and to send the ad according to the store T&C.
    We are doing it for a while, right now we have more than 100 games and applications live at Ovi.
    For example, here is a sample of apps using us live on Ovi: http://store.ovi.com/search?q=inneractive

PS. We even got recommended at Ovi forum: http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/ov...for-developers

Quote Originally Posted by biskero View Post
    Ciao,

how are you different from other Ad providers/aggregators?

I have a lot of experience with mobile ads.
    Anything that would drive traffic away from OVI would not fit the T&C, that's the issue.
    Most mobile ads do exactly that. Branding would be the only ad that might fit these type of T&C.

Alessandro
    You have asked fabulous question. Do you know that the Today Greystripe, a mobile advertising network, announced ad network support for Nokia's Ovi Store. Greystripe enables developers to automatically add pre-load and exit 'screen' rich media adverts to their games applications via a self-service web portal. This should result in an increased number of ad-supported (free) games and applications in the Ovi Store. Additionally Greystripe is migrating 1,200 Gamejump.com Java titles into Ovi Store.
    Greystripe say that its Java and Symbian applications are currently downloaded roughly 250,000 times a day. By adding Ovi Store support Greystripe should be able to extend its reach and increase the downloads of Greystripe enabled ad-supported applications.
    Ovi Store passed the 1 million downloads a day towards the end of the fourth quarter of 2009 (as noted in Nokia's Q4 results) and is seeing strong month to month growth.

--------------------------
    000-385 ! 000-426 ! 000-435 ! 000-438

hiii allll,

i read all your conversation., i am new to ovi store. i want to attach advertisement in my application., anyone please tell me how to do that?? i mean is there any advertisement service provider or ovi stores has its own advertisement link??
    please let me know. i will be more thankful to you all..

Super Contributor

Recently I have read about http://inner-active.com/ Didnt get a chance to try though..

Regards
    Gopal

Re: Mobile ads not possible for apps in OVI Store?!

thnx gopal., i will try it in future...

Nokia Developer Expert

The operations team will unfortunately fail applications containing mobile advertisements that violates the Ovi Terms and Conditions and Content Guidelines. However, you may contact the ad company directly to request them to filter out any advertisements that contains what Nokia considers to be inappropriate, in areas like nudity, violence, religion, politics, intellectual property, and privacy. For a more in-depth list, please see the following link: http://support.publish.ovi.com/?p=64.

If your advertisements are powered by Inner-Active, please kindly email the Nokia Support Team and they will contact the ad company on your behalf. For all other mobile ad companies, please contact them directly and resubmit your application for review once more.

Andrew

The email Noam@inner-active is not working LOL

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by John.Tan View Post
    The email Noam@inner-active is not working LOL
    It does not really matter, after reading #13:
    If your advertisements are powered by Inner-Active, please kindly email the Nokia Support Team and they will contact the ad company on your behalf.